C.pyrrhogaster season has commenced!

I was cleaning the tank yesterday and looking from above, saw a male and a female coming towards each other. I was expecting to see a bit of tail fanning, and I did...except the female tail fanned the male! What is that supposed to mean???

Eva, it was said i guess even previously in this thread that it is a perfectly normal behaviour that newts have. If I´m not mistaken what female told the male was something like "get outta here now" LoL. Its a simply territorial behaviour showing that she didn't want him right there at that time. Reasons? Thousands of them to pick.

Cheers,

I believe that´s true, too. I´ve witnessed "tail-fanning" in females in different species and my conclussion is that it is a display to ward-off other newts. It´s always slightly different than the real tail-fanning meant for reproduction.
Both males and females can do it, and i personally find it happens more frequently among young animals, which possibly means that the behaviour could be an attempt to seem larger or more agressive.
Anyway it´s nothing to worry about, it´s just newt communication xD

Thanks for explaining that. I think I remember reading about this before.
It is very funny to witness, all the same :happy:

I thought i would share this video i took a couple of days ago. I wanted to have filmed courtship but instead got a display of master chasing xD The 4 males are like this most of the time. A single chase like the one in the video can go on for as long as an hour. I´ve said it before but i´ll say it again, this guys just amaze me!

I apologize for the quality, though, it´s very bad and some areas of the tank are too dark and you can barely see a thing in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYTWpCHA0hU

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back