Cheap (egg) tank (do-it-yourself)

Update: Yes, Molch, the plastic didn't bond. I'm going to redo it by the sewing method.

Although I have successfully glued plenty of things with Gorilla Glue in the past, I guess plastic to plastic doesn't work.

or plastic to anything. I tried to glue plastic to wood and it didn't work either...

or plastic to anything. I tried to glue plastic to wood and it didn't work either...

I know this was probably the first thing you did but did you make sure one side of what you were gluing was wet?

I know this was probably the first thing you did but did you make sure one side of what you were gluing was wet?

yeah, I did - but gorilla glue just won't do plastic, and nor does epoxy.

yeah, I did - but gorilla glue just won't do plastic, and nor does epoxy.

try hot glue

i have always used it to make my tanks. Dollar store's usually sell cheap glue gun's.

Yeah, I did this method too, and while they were larval just left the lid off. When they got closer to morphing i just used an awl to poke several dozen holes in the lid, had no issues with lack of ventilation, but then again T. Karelinii are super low maintenance in my experience. I also have used staples to attach screen to things. Nice work though, Dawn.

Also, this is the second thread where i have heard Francois allude to Molch Showering with newt water. What's the backstory there?

Also, this is the second thread where i have heard Francois allude to Molch Showering with newt water. What's the backstory there?

:D:D:D
The ol' french dude and I go waaay back :wacko: See here

I use non covered setups basicly they are wide setups with 1,5cm water and totally opened. Maximum ventilations and tiny water collumn. But thats just me

Is there a fear of your newt/salamander escaping?

One important note however; the gap where the lid meets the container is not that tight, so to prevent escape if using for morphs I glued foam all around the lid where it meets the plastic, so when it was clicked shut it gave a nice tight seal.

I know this is an older thread, but a great way to seal the gaps in these containers is to use foam weatherstripping with a sticky back, like this: 3/8 in. x 5/16 in. x 10 ft. Black High-Density Rubber Foam Weather Stripping-R538H at The Home Depot

Just cut it to length and stick it down around the inside edge of the lids. Comes in different thicknesses too, so will fit any size gaps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back