Cheap Homemade Chiller

thank you cheryl i managed to complete my chiller i think the tub i have my coils in im going to replace with a picnic cooler
i have to tell you i did manage to flood the living room i got some towels for clean-up and then realized i was draining the tank tha axies were just standing in the sand looking at me
i just didnt realize the filter kept pumping after i pulled the plug
well after i cleaned everything up and finished my coils and added the ice around them and after i refilled the tank i was exhausted
the axies were still watching me only their tails had a little bend in the end for stress
i love those guys
their tails were straight and their water was 60 degrees this morning all was well

Glad you figured it out fran. It worked quite well for us. I once nearly drained the tank, but luckily realised when the tank was only 25% empty.

Huh, I just made a decision to spend the money I had saved for a holiday to buy an aquarium chiller.I ordered it today. It wasn't cheap. It's mini chiller and cost £205 (Uk Pounds),huh.But I think of it as a long-term investment, as I can stay out and go on holidays for longer than 12 hours. But still, it was soooo expensive.

Well, my water temp is 25-26 degrees,no matter all my efforts with frozen bottles etc.Iam going to try the self made chiller box described on another thread,although i am not much of a D.I.Y person.For the moment my newts just sit one on top of the other on a rock covered with moss, and refuse to go to the water.I read somewere that they tend to leave the water when its too hot, like summer,(and do they stay terrestriall until next spring?) but i worry about feeding, for they dont show signs of lively activity,and i have never fed them terrestrially.As a last resort,if everything else fails I should have to resort to refrigerate the poor things,until temperature falls again to normal levels.I read that this is very possible,is it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back