Common Mudpuppy (Necturus maculosus) help: ideas for food

crcfarm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I am a teacher who went to the National Science Teaching Conference in Denver a few weeks ago and came home with a common mudpuppy I won in a drawing when the vendors were clearing out their live animals and bugs rather than transpoting them back. The mudpuppy is about 15 inches long and is from Minnesota. Over the course of my life I have lived with a tiger salamander, a leopard frog, and most recently an axolotl. Each lived about 10 years. I am working on cycling a 50 gallon tank set up at school for "Spot." (So named by one of our students.) Spot is currently in a tub twice the size of what I would use for temporary housing of an axolotl and water changes are being done each day with an full change each week, I also added a bubbler since I have read that they seem to prefer moving water.

But, I am having trouble finding things Spot wants to eat. I have tried blood worms, meal worms, crickets, frozen snails and river shrimp, red wigglers , and night crawlers. Spot did eat one red wiggler and has eaten 3 night crawlers over the course of the last couple weeks, but has not eaten anything since last Sunday. I cannot get crawfish right now, but hope to find a local lake with some babies once things warm up since that seems to be their preferred diet. Does anyone have any other suggestions for things to try, or are the night crawlers filling Spot up and so daily feedings aren't required? Thank you for any help you can give.
mud puppy.jpg

Never kept one before. But he is probably wild caught. Until you can get him settled in a tank that is cycled and kept cool I imagine you will continue having trouble feeding him. Worms would definitely be my go-to.

I’ve kept mud puppies in the past. They require cool, clean water- filtration is very important. They are kind of delicate, compared to axolotls, in my opinion. They like flat rocks to hide under. They like to dig- rocks should be arranged so they don’t collapse on the salamander when it digs. As for food, night crawlers are a good staple. They will also eat small fish, and various aquatic insects and crustaceans. Personally, I would avoid red wrigglers, due to their foul tasting excretions. For right now, in this tub, I have two suggestions. Make certain that you are using dechlorinated water when you do changes. Also, it needs a hiding place to feel secure. That is quite likely the reason it isn’t eating for you.

I’ve kept mud puppies in the past. They require cool, clean water- filtration is very important. They are kind of delicate, compared to axolotls, in my opinion. They like flat rocks to hide under. They like to dig- rocks should be arranged so they don’t collapse on the salamander when it digs. As for food, night crawlers are a good staple. They will also eat small fish, and various aquatic insects and crustaceans. Personally, I would avoid red wrigglers, due to their foul tasting excretions. For right now, in this tub, I have two suggestions. Make certain that you are using dechlorinated water when you do changes. Also, it needs a hiding place to feel secure. That is quite likely the reason it isn’t eating for you.
Thank you. I have been working on finding some good hiding items for the aquarium. I am using the same dechlorinator that I used for my axolotl and have also tested the water to make sure we aren't out of range. The picture was the first night I brought the mudpuppy home (school). I took this picture and sent it to my librarian so he wouldn't be startled by the movement in the tub if he came in since we had started spring break. I have the tub under our gecko and toad table in the library and pretty much covered now becuase I know he has sensitive eyes and likes to hide. Water temp is staying around 60 degrees Farenheit; that part of the library tends to be chilly. Thanks very much for your suggestions to keep him happy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back