Do crickets need substrate?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
At the nature center, we keep crickets in a Kritter Keeper setup. We supply food and a water dish. Do crickets need a substrate on the bottom of the container? If so, what is the best and/or cheapest thing to use? We've been using a cricket food/bedding product, but I'm trying to save money.

I find mine do better housed with some type of substrate. I found the easiest to use is paper towels. Not only is It easy to change but they seem to like to munch on it. I also keep a small bowl of moist coco fiber in the corner for the females to lay eggs in.

If you ask at the local newspaper, they will give you what we call in the paper industry a "stub roll". This is merely the paper left on the roll after a high speed printing splice. One stub averages 100 feet of 8 or 10 foot blank newsprint. It's free, sanitary and a roll lasts for a long time. Wadded up OT is excellent for cleaning enclosure glass to a quality streak free shine. Also makes good shipping padding.

I use it for crickets and roaches as bedding.

You can't get and cheaper and earth friendly than that.

When I worked at the zoo we used large slabs of cardboard egg crate.

I use substrate as I find the crickets survive longer and it reduces the time I invest in keeping their container clean. They are so dirty and their excrement is hard to remove from a bare bottom tank. I have used all the above as substrate but have landed on using Repti-bark (fir bark) the past several years. It decreases the smell and I only change the substrate a few times a year.

When I worked at the zoo we used large slabs of cardboard egg crate.

This seems to be a common choice, especially for raising large numbers of crickets.

I personally use screwed up newspaper. I never use a water bowl, I just make sure that they always have a bit of fresh veg- this seems to give them enough moisture.

Excellent ideas, all! Our cricket keeper is the kind with the tubes inside:
Ghann's Cricket Farm :: Lee's Kricket Keeper
So there's really no space for egg crate. But the other ideas will be tried!

By the way, I really like this keeper device with the tubes inside. This is saving us a lot of time picking and shaking out crickets daily. Most of the crickets stay up inside the tubes ready for dispensing.

I use paper towel and toilet tissue cores in my cultures for the same purpose. Tubes sure do make the harvest easy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back