Eyeless & small headed Triturus dobrogicus larva

HeckYeck

Reaction score
Country
United States
An odd little guy hatched today, he didn't appear to have any eyes and had a much smaller head than the other newly hatched babies so I took some photos/videos under the microscope to get a better look. Under there it appears that he has only semi-developed eyes, poorly developed gills and just an overall underdeveloped head. I don't expect him to make it but figured it was interesting enough to share. I attached a picture of him resting on an egg and another baby that hatched about the same time for comparison of head shape/gills and a video of him under the microscope. Is this a common occurrence and have any of you guys hatched any like him?
Edit: The moving orange thing by his chin in the video is a baby brine shrimp, not him lol
underdeveloped baby.jpg
normal baby.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back