Feeding kaiseri?

erik3333

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I'd like to know what you are feeding your kaiseri's. I have 4 1-year olds specimens and they are the first newts I have come across that don't like earthworms. They also don't like frozen daphnia.

Any suggestions for food items that really like?

Yes I do. Since they don't seem to like earthworms at the moment, i don't know how to administer calcium. Any thought on that would be most appreciated too.

If they really won't eat earthworms, you need to be extra sure they are getting a complete diet. Most frozen food is too one sided to be used as a staple, Daphnia in particular are pretty much useless once they are defrosted, so I wouldn't worry too much about them not wanting that. I feed a lot of defrosted bloodworm and brine shrimp to my newts, but only alongside a staple of worms. Have you tried them with some high quality pellets? If you can make them the bulk of their diet along with the bloodworm and shrimp etc from time to time, they should get everything they need nutritionally from the pellets.

Try smaller earthworms...and be patient, they do eventually learn to accept them. Pellets are also a fine suggestion that should work. You might also want to try isopods.
Avoid using frozen foods as staples, or even as a significant part of their diet at all, because they are nutritionally incomplete and could lead to deficiencies that would eventually result in untreatable problems.

Okay, good suggestions. I will continu trying to feed them earthworms. Would some of you suggest i occasionally bring them to land to feed them dusted crickets?

Yes, reluctant newts will often take smaller whole worms, yet turn their noses up at chopped larger ones. Also, they will probably be in more of a mood to try the worms if they are very hungry

When I had mine they eat whiteworms an bloodworms , they eat crickets flies and woodlice on land

I guess they would accept live food as pinky maggots and Tubifex and big live Daphnia.
;)

Somehow that sounds really familiar MarkusA ;). I will look for those pinky maggots. Is it a good staple?

Do you administer any extra calcium?

No, they are not a good staple.
Some people warn against them as they can apparently cause internal damage with their mandibles and they are not very easy to digest, occasionally recognizably appearing in the feces.
Regardless, they are not nutritonally complete and are calcium poor.

I feed all my kaisers a balance of frozen blood worms and chopped up earthworms. Make sure they are cut up into small pieces so they can smell the food . They love them and like everybody says is a good staple died. I don't like pellets because they polite the water too easily. What I do is cut the worms down the middle ... Remove all the dirt they have.. And chop up small pieces. This is a lot cleaner too and my kaisers love them.

Well the artemia we're appreciated, but just one maggot was eaten. I will try some blackworms and enchytraea en keep trying to get them to eat chopped up worms.

My kaiseri was a very reluctant to eat for the first month after I obtained it. Mine eats defrosted bloodworms, small pieces of earthworm, and occasionally will take a small live cricked off forceps if it is feeling bold. To this day it is still pretty secretive about feeding in front of me.

Do you leave the food in the tank in a small dish underwater overnight? It may be nibbling on them during the night and you aren't noticing.

Do you leave the food in the tank in a small dish underwater overnight? It may be nibbling on them during the night and you aren't noticing.

A lot of the times live food will just craw out, especially blackworms, and frozen bloodworms just shouldn't be left overnight imo.

A lot of the times live food will just craw out, especially blackworms, and frozen bloodworms just shouldn't be left overnight imo.

Even if the live food crawls out it may be hunting in the dark. My point is that they can be shy about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back