Filter media crashed during transport/new tank setup

DrJade

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen and any thoughts and what went wrong/ what to do different next time I move a filter or filter media.
I have two homes. At home 1 I have two tanks with very stable filter cycles for many years. In the past when I set up the second tank, I purchased the same filter(fluvial 407) and put 1/2 the old cycled media from tank 1 into new filter for tank 2 setup and had an instant cycle. This worked very well. No issues.

This time I set up a tank at a different house, a 2 hour drive away with different water supply. I removed 1/2 the filter media from one of my cycled healthy tanks, put it sopping wet with filter water into zip locks an transported it on ice packs to new location. New tank was set up and running probably 6 hours later at most. I used declorinater (API tap water conditioner)and flushed new filter and new media with dechlorinated water prior to adding old cycled media.
It appears the cycle crashed as I added ammonia at 2-4 ppm to test it and the level to not reduce or convert to nitrate after 24 hours.

My only theories at this point are
1) I should have transported media totally submerged in filter water instead of just wet in bag
2)Ice was too cold and damaged bacteria
3)I waited to long to add ammonia. I did not add ammonia for 24-48 hours, as I could not find it, but I did add some fish food flakes, and I don't think bacteria would die that fast.
4) bacteria does not like new water supply. Old tank from which media came was on hard well water, new tank is on city water with water conditioner.

My concern is that I need to move my other 2 cycled tanks in near future to this location with city water and 2 hour drive away and I am now not confident the media will survive the change.

Any thoughts of experience appreciated.
Thanks!

it could be a combination of things.
most bacteria don't like the cold so the ice wouldn't have been good, better to keep warm (this is why pond filters have to be re-started after a winter spell).
the change in ph kh gh will affect the bacteria.
although some bacteria will die off due to starvation, it shouldn't be enough to crash the cycle out, although it has been known to, it is more likely a lack of oxygenated water.
also although dechlorinator was used unless the water has been left for a couple of hours some chlorine can still remain.

Thanks for advise. next time I will avoid the ice, wait a few hours after dechlor and try to get a portable air stone to take media with. I will do a test move this weekend as I have a cycled sponge filter I can bring and see if it survives move with above tweaks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back