Floating Axolotl help

Norrington

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, hope this is the right thread. I'm using my phone so a little hard to navigate.

I've read many posts about this but I'm hoping someone can correct me or provide more options/info by posting my exact situation.

My Axolotl turned 11 years old in February. This past month (3 weeks) I have been dealing with potential bloating(?). I noticed he looked abnormally round on the left side of his body and was floating (butt towards surface) after watching for a couple days and it not getting better I put him in separate tank with lower water basicially a couple inches above his back, placed in my basement, which is quite cold (instead of fridging).

After about 2-3days He had a bowl movement which made his left side appear not as pronounced, I cleaned that out and left him in there for another week to monitor. Whole time his appetite was perfectly normal but he is still struggling to stay upright, he now rotates and floats belly up... I've lowered the water even more to just about his back to hopefully stop him from rotating. His appetite is normal, he wants to eat (his primary food is earthworms, axolotl pellets and occasional cube of bloodworms). what else can I do? Is there something I am missing... I feel horrible that I am doing something wrong.. or he is going to die from stressing himself out... :(

Edit
Also not sure if this is of importance but when I lowered the water close to above his back he like goes to corner of tank and tries to push himself out of water... I saw him do that a few times.

Edit #2
Just found this BC floaters

Going to look into this more and aee if I have success with adding some turbulence to the water 🤞🤞

Last edited:
it is better to tub in shallow water rather than reduce the level in the tank, this is because the less water there is the more concentrated nitrogen compounds become ie.. nitrates.
because pellets have been know to cause floating cut them out of his diet for now, what are the condition of his gills, turbulent water allows oxygen to be added to the water but can cause stress, if there is an air-stone fitted make sure it is working properly as they can clog over time reducing water oxygenation, if there isn't an air-stone fit one.
unlike fish axolotls don't have a swim bladder so the can't control any air that has been swallowed this means that they will float until the air has been expelled.

it is better to tub in shallow water rather than reduce the level in the tank, this is because the less water there is the more concentrated nitrogen compounds become ie.. nitrates.
because pellets have been know to cause floating cut them out of his diet for now, what are the condition of his gills, turbulent water allows oxygen to be added to the water but can cause stress, if there is an air-stone fitted make sure it is working properly as they can clog over time reducing water oxygenation, if there isn't an air-stone fit one.
unlike fish axolotls don't have a swim bladder so the can't control any air that has been swallowed this means that they will float until the air has been expelled.
Thank you!! Currently his gills look vibrant in color and frilly (right side) left side same color vibrancy but less frilly. I have moved him into a shallow tub for now while I ensure the air stone is working properly as well.

Thank you!! Currently his gills look vibrant in color and frilly (right side) left side same color vibrancy but less frilly. I have moved him into a shallow tub for now while I ensure the air stone is working properly as well.
Doing so much better since adding airstone into his holding container. 3 full days that I have not noticed him floating upside down!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back