Question: GarlicGaurd For Axolotls

Rolotl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
GARLIC GAURD FOR AXOLOTLS ??

So I have 4 Lucy Axolotls (1blue-gilled1.5 years old, 1 extra pink 7months old and twin 3month olds)
I was just wondering if
1) it is safe for them
2) what would be the recommended method
- Let sit 10-15min with worms
- add to 32litre wormery

They eat the worms I give them and refuse red wrigglers since iv had them. So they eat home grown composted dendrobenea worm, but only if they HAVE too!
I believe they have all worked out that if they refuse the worms they get something else like prawns or thawed frozen bloodworm, and usually a days stand off.)

Ps: the whole reason I want them on a worm diet cos of-course It’s a staple diet for them, but i also have spent hours on my worrmery.

All answers and questions welcome :)

Attachments

• 111CE3F6-40CA-4605-B8BF-0ECE0DC51758.jpeg
    111CE3F6-40CA-4605-B8BF-0ECE0DC51758.jpeg
    616.8 KB · Views: 403
GARLIC GAURD FOR AXOLOTLS ??

So I have 4 Lucy Axolotls (1blue-gilled1.5 years old, 1 extra pink 7months old and twin 3month olds)
I was just wondering if
1) it is safe for them
2) what would be the recommended method
- Let sit 10-15min with worms
- add to 32litre wormery

They eat the worms I give them and refuse red wrigglers since iv had them. So they eat home grown composted dendrobenea worm, but only if they HAVE too!
I believe they have all worked out that if they refuse the worms they get something else like prawns or thawed frozen bloodworm, and usually a days stand off.)

Ps: the whole reason I want them on a worm diet cos of-course It’s a staple diet for them, but i also have spent hours on my worrmery.

All answers and questions welcome :)
i did a quick search and didn't see anything that says garlic is bad for axolotls, but from what i understand garlicguard is the same thing but with a bunch of different chemicals. i *think* that garlic itself is safe, but i would hold off on using garlicguard. i usually don't recommend using any product that is not specifically for amphibians, just to be safe.
moreover, i think that the best method for adding garlic would be to soak the worms one at a time.

I vaguely remember a discussion I had years ago in the old chat room where I brought up the use of garlic for possible infection treatment. I use it on myself and I'm convinced it's effective. However it can prevent blood clotting, so I chose not to use it. I'll see if I can find some more information on this.

although it is debatable as to whether garlic is safe for axolotls it is also a question of whether or not the axolotls will eat anything that contains or tastes of garlic.
I have tried mine in the past with food the contains garlic and found that they would rather go hungry than eat it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back