Question: Ghost Shrimp/Detritus eaters with Axolotls

Neomorph99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello there,

I saw a few threads about housing Ghost Shrimp with Axolotls but none quite answered my questions, so I thought I'd post here. I'm a new axolotl owner and currently have a juvie axanthic (named Ripley) in a 20 gal long tank. The tank is currently bare-bottom and has some live floating plants like hornwort along with large rocks and a hide. Bits of plants break off/die and fall to the bottom of the tank, making the bottom look messy. Ripley doesn't seem to mind it, but it does look kind of unsightly. I would like to get some "cleaner crew" animals to house with Ripley and clean up the plant mess, and I was considering Ghost Shrimp. I understand axies will eat ghost shrimp if they find them, but I figure if there are enough of them some will survive. Are ghost shrimp the way to go, or are there some other species I could consider? If shrimp are the way to go, how many should I get to populate the tank but also not cause ammonia problems?

Thank you!

I’ve never had ghost shrimp live long in my alpine newt tank. I’ve had red cherry shrimp survive OK but they need a lot of hiding places.

I’ve never had ghost shrimp live long in my alpine newt tank. I’ve had red cherry shrimp survive OK but they need a lot of hiding places.
That's interesting, I would think ghost shrimp are less visible than cherry shrimp. Do you know about any other species?

over here in the uk we have river shrimp, very similar to ghost shrimp. they are very good at cleaning up and even learn when it is feeding time, unfortunately they don't last long in a axie tank, for example I tend to buy about 200> for when I go on holiday so I don't have to worry about my three little monsters being fed, after a week I would be lucky if even a quarter are left and after a month there will be non in the tank. If you are planning to use them as a permanent clean up crew you would be best having a shrimp tank and adding them as needed. also there are little hyalella azteca which are scud/gammarus shrimp that are brilliant little cleaners in planted tanks and they don't seem to bother the axies much, though they are great for food for young axies.

That's interesting, I would think ghost shrimp are less visible than cherry shrimp. Do you know about any other species?
I’ve never tried any other. I wonder if RCS last longer because they’re smaller. They seem faster than ghost shrimp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back