Gill Stalk variation has me worried

Kc0olm

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl's gill stalks have never been "beautiful" like the stock photos online, but I'd like to check with the community. I am attaching photos of the best and worst gill stalk photos. And some facts:

1. Recently had a bout with bad tank parameters, ammonia and nitrates. But a friend gave me some cycled water, and that corrected everything within a few days.
2. She is eating very well.
3. She has been swimming around a lot for some months. Actually I prefer this to the times before when she would just hide in her cave all the time. I don't really know swimming patterns yet, but she does NOT go to the top to gulp water, so I think oxygen is not the problem.
4. She's not quite a year old. Got her last Christmas. Found out recently that "she" is a male - has grown testicles.
5. Recently got "soft water", with RO filter. I only used this once, and it was 20% water change, but before I got the cycled water. I know now to shut off the soft water when I want to get water for her tank.
6. Read a lot of "stuff" on the internet - as usual, people are just guessing, without logic.

Please advise. First s from 3 months ago, next two are today
IMG_8172.jpeg

IMG_8165.jpg
IMG_8170.jpeg

what are your water parameters ie.. temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, try to get kh and gh tested (you may find either one or both to be low).
read .. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity about using 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate.
it wasn't that the water from your friend was cycled but rather that the ph/kh in the water was good.
although holtfreters is good for your axolotl your plants may not be able to tolerate it, monitor your nitrogen compound levels to make sure that your filter is able to cope.
axolotls are mostly nocturnal so it is more normal to be in a hide/cave during the day and out at night once lights are off.
edit: after looking at your water parameters on reddit, only temperature ammonia nitrite and nitrate are given though, your temperature could do with being reduced.. ideal 59°f-64°f colder being better, your nitrogen compounds are fine, please post ph as ph is also quite important.. ideal being 7.4-7.6

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back