Gills - fungus? Dexter needs help!

Demonrapid

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
Hi everyone! This is Dexter, my 2 year old axolotl. When changing his water I noticed some weird discoloration (maybe clots or fungus?) on his gills. I also noticed a white thing on his left gill (the one that is not circled) 🥺 Could someone please help me? I would appreciate it so much! And Dexter too :) thank you
IMG_7838.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7839.jpeg
    IMG_7839.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
use 3.5g/l non-iodised salt in the water to remove fungus (test ph, kh, gh, if any are low use 100% holtfreters + 0.2g/l magnesium sulphate instead), once fungus has gone reduce salt level to 2g/l (or reduce to 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate) to act as a preventative.
for holtfreters see here.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
for required levels.. Water Quality Explained: How It Can Affect Your Axolotl's Health - WSAVA 2015 Congress - VIN as a side note for kh and gh, 1° is 17.9 eg.. 3° = 53.7

use 3.5g/l non-iodised salt in the water to remove fungus (test ph, kh, gh, if any are low use 100% holtfreters + 0.2g/l magnesium sulphate instead), once fungus has gone reduce salt level to 2g/l (or reduce to 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate) to act as a preventative.
for holtfreters see here.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
for required levels.. Water Quality Explained: How It Can Affect Your Axolotl's Health - WSAVA 2015 Congress - VIN as a side note for kh and gh, 1° is 17.9 eg.. 3° = 53.7
Hi! Thank you so much for your response and for your helpful instructions. So it is a fungus? I am just wondering if it’s okay for me to treat him even though it might not be fungus.

it does look like the start of a fungal infection.

methylene blue will treat the infection.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back