Got shrimp?

after reading this thread i've buy 7 Neocaridina Heteropoda , 3 of them are in my Cynops Orientalis vivarium, they really help me on keep the tank clean, the other 4 are in a 20gallon acquarium with many elodea java moss and other plants wich is the future Cynops cyanurus tank.Today i saw the bigger female with eggs. If they start to produce many shrimps i would use some of the offspring for feeding various newts.

Bought two of these lil fellas today... I've completely forgotten what they are called, I'll have a look next time I visit the shop. Maybe someone can identify them from the photo? I've put them in my new large Axolotl tank to help speed up the cycling process (I feel my Axie is getting cramped in his current tank, and want to move him as soon as possible).
They're so cool to watch!

Attachments

• shrimp1.jpg
    shrimp1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 515
Hi , Benh
i think you have Caridina Japonica or Multidentata wich is just a different name for the same species. They become larger than the red cherry (Neocaridina Heteropoda) about 4-5 cm

My two shrimp are now in with my Axolotl - the very first thing that happened when I introduced him into the tank was that one of the shrimp decided to land right on his nose. Almost became a welcome snack! Haha.

Since then however, they have learnt their lesson well! Now the two shrimp sit directly on top of the filter, and rarely move at all...? They seem to realise that if they start swimming round the tank as they did before, they might end up as food.
I'm not going to try and intervene and make them move - but they used to be very interesting to watch before my Axie moved in. There are plenty of plants and places for them to hide amongst rocks etc. I just wondered if I could encourage them to move some how? Or if there is a better species of shrimp that isn't as clever as these guys - that will happily tootle round my tank.
Thanks!!! :happy:

The shrimp are probably hanging on the filter for food. They like feeding on the biofilm.
My shrimps always concentrate where there is food, so maybe yours are just doing the same.

Mine like to hang on the filter, too. I have a piece of foam over the intake pipe, and the foam is covered with (what should be) floating plants, so there is plenty for the shrimp to sift through there.

-Eva

I live 50 meters from a rocky shoreline here in deepest and darkest Devon.
I used to keep marine coldwater fish.. caught locally.. mostly diving offshore.....untill the price of electricity rocketed enough to stop me utilising a beer cooler to keep the tank cold ..10 C max
(uncooled it would reach 20+ C.. tropical !)

I fed the fish regularly on shrimp ( probably prawns) netted easily from the many rockpools.

Could I feed these to my axolotles ?
I read somewhere that any chitinous beasties could not be digested?
My wormery supplies the bulk of their food at present.

Marine shrimp are not suitable for a freshwater creature like an axolotl. The internal concentrations of salts and elements are radically different.
Fresh water shrimp on the other hand are perfectly safe, and as far as i´ve been able to find out, they are very nutritious.
Freshwater species such as Neocaridina heteropoda are not going to pose a problem during digestion, their exosqueleton is not hard enough.

Got shrimp!
We got 6 cherry shrimps about two weeks ago. The newts (4 Cynops pyrrhogaster) seemed confused at first but soon realised they can't catch them and now pretty much ignore them even if the shrimps walk over them. We recorded 5 shrimps at the last consensus (cleaning)... so far so good.
Unfortunately the newts figured out another way to get the poor shrimps...by eating all their food! Either they are great strategists or they're really greedy. We've tried several kinds of fish food and the newts hoover up everything.
I hope the little red guys can survive.
Here's a little video:

YouTube - GREEDY NEWTS

Got shrimp!
Unfortunately the newts figured out another way to get the poor shrimps...by eating all their food! Either they are great strategists or they're really greedy. We've tried several kinds of fish food and the newts hoover up everything.

Among other things, I feed mine with that fish food powder intended for fish fry as well as paprika (the spice). These might be too fine to interest the newts?

-Eva

That's what we thought but nothing's too fine for my newts.
What about the paprika though, how does that work? I've seen it recommended for feeding worms or something similar... is it actually nutritious for the shrimps and harmless otherwise?

If the newts are eating the fish food, stop offering it. Fish food usually contain a percentage of vegetable matter, which can lead to some problems for the newts.
To be honest i wouldn´t feed the shrimp at all. they will feast on left-overs, algae, the biofilm, even the feces of the newts. If you want, though, you could supplement every now and then with a bit of bleached spinach (i seriously doubt the newts will show any interest in that).

Thanks for the advice Azhael. I'll try the spinach... even though I worry my newts will give it a go seeing how desperate they are :)

I got maybe 2 dozen and dropped them into a 46 gallon bowfront paludarium with 5 Cynops ensicauda popei. Problem is the shrimp don't seem to have taken off and I only see an occasional few.

When i got mine (25) i barely saw a few for the first month. Then after the new generations grew bigger, suddenly, they were everywhere.
Be patient, they really are VERY good at making themselves invisible.

Well, its been about a year since I've added them...been pretty patient!

Uh...that changes things :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back