Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from New Zealand!

AxoandLotl

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thank you for accepting me to the group...
About 6 months ago I was wandering around my lfs and saw a creature that made me stop dead in my tracks - I thought, what IS this freaky looking beautiful being?
I found out it was an Axolotl (I'm originally from South Africa. We have Mudskippers, but nothing like Axolotl!) I went home and spent a week researching this beautiful little creature.

The following visit to my lfs saw me going home with 2 Axolotl - Axo and Lotl. They were about 10cm long and I thought they were both boys until they started maturing and then I discovered that Axo is a boy (a very shy boy) and Lotl is a girl (got the names perfect!). A little while later I rescued Ninja. He'd been kept on gravel, had eaten some and was severely malnourished. He'd been pooping pebbles. I brought that boy home and he is now flourishing! To cut a long story short, I now have SIX!! My 3 adults, Axo, Lotl and Ninja and 3 babies (8cm) Footloose (because he was missing a foot), Bubblebutt and Nero (he has eyebrows! lol)

Lotl is very fat with eggs but the boys have not been delivering the goods as yet so I'm keeping a close eye on her.

I've uploaded some photos of my freaky family - please excuse photo quality of the babies. I will try to get a better photo at some stage.

Attachments

• Babies.jpg
    Babies.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 151
  • My 3 Stooges.jpg
    My 3 Stooges.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 95
  • Ninja.jpg
    Ninja.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Lotl.jpg
    Lotl.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 96
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1