Help! Axolotl Tail disintegrating

Joann Vo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Someone please help! I think my axolotl’s tail is disintegrating. I have been tubbing her for the past few days because she wouldn’t eat. After two days of tubbing, she looks a lot better, and she’s eating again. Although she’s eating again, I noticed that she has a bruise on her tail and her tail looks like it’s disintegrating. Does anyone know what is happening or what I should do!? it doesn’t look like a fungal infection, I don’t see any cotton like fuzzies on her at all. What could this be?

Attachments

• IMG_1537.jpeg
    IMG_1537.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 595
  • IMG_1536.jpeg
    IMG_1536.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1530.jpeg
    IMG_1530.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Someone please help! I think my axolotl’s tail is disintegrating. I have been tubbing her for the past few days because she wouldn’t eat. After two days of tubbing, she looks a lot better, and she’s eating again. Although she’s eating again, I noticed that she has a bruise on her tail and her tail looks like it’s disintegrating. Does anyone know what is happening or what I should do!? it doesn’t look like a fungal infection, I don’t see any cotton like fuzzies on her at all. What could this be?
Hello ; POLY filter or some other type ion exchange filter will remove a lot of things in your water that don't show up on regular test kits ..copper, heavy metals, phosphates ect usually will be noticed on fins looking ratty / disappearing / gills / skin . not eating
H2OQ = water quality also water movement oxidation of water will sometime effect those things

R O water although very pure is a touch acidic & you need to add to it .. this can be checked with test kits & GOOD pet store for additives ..some critters like soft acidic water & other like hard alkaline & other a neutral setting check your pets natural water conditions

tub in pyrex/glass/ceramic if possible, ensure tub/container is thoroughly scrubbed clean between water changes, apply potassium permanganate to infected areas/sores, add 2g/l salt to the water, may require vet attention if the tail continues to degrade or if it spreads to other limbs (may require amputation)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back