Help! Axolotl Tank Turned Green during cycling process

poochie2317

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
New axolotl owner here and I need a little help with my tank! I set up our new tank with some artificial plants from petco, driftwood and substrate sand. I rinsed all the items before I put them in the tank, then I added the water (tap), prime, ammonia and beneficial bacteria. When I woke up the next morning the water was GREEN. Could the dye from the artificial plants leached into the water? I didn’t think they would do that since they’re aquatic plants. Do I need to remove all the water start over without plants? Thank you!
*Note: my axolotl is tubed and I haven’t had any live plants in the water. The water turned green within 10 hours, so I don’t think it’s algae.

is the tank in direct sunlight?
algae can send tank water green over a very short period.
unfortunately even water changes won't stop the water from becoming pea soup.
to help prevent green water make sure the tank isn't in direct sunlight, unless you have plants in the tank don't use full spectrum lighting, live plants will out compete the algae for nutrients, fine mechanical filtration can remove a lot of the algae, UV sterilisers can kill algae and help clear water, barley straw is effective at removing/killing algae (can be brought as either straw packs or extract)
make sure there is adequate oxygenation as green water algae consumes oxygen, this can effect any animals as well as the filtration, always use an air stone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back