Herping in Western VA

Wow, JP takes some seriously professional-grade photos! Mark is right, I can certainly see some calendar photos in there!

Haha, thanks. I'm glad you caudate-o-philes approve, lol. I've never had much experience with them, and mostly just do frogs. Frogs are nice because they're short and fat. Long animals always drive me nuts because I want to get the whole body in the shot and generally can't. It was a good learning experience. I think that with a few other modifications to my technique, I can get some pictures that I am really pleased with (believe it or not, I only have a couple that I am very happy with; I'm a big time perfectionist).

I don't know what the plan is next year for the Herp Club, but I certainly wouldn't mind visiting Appalachia again with *hopefully* better weather. I'd like to get more pictures of Long-Tails (especially calm Long-Tails) and possibly Cave, Yohnolossee (sp?), and Green Salamanders. If we find Hellbenders, I'll have to get pictures, but that might be disappointing, since I'm set up to take pictures of small animals.

Now, if I can only convince National Geographic that my photos are that good, lol!

It looks as if you guys had a good time. Again I really hate that I was unable to meet up with you (especially since I was driving to Roanoke every night that weekend) but life has other priorities for me at the moment. Did anyone find an A. maculatum with orange spotting?
Chip

You need to come to Texas for maculatum with orange spotting.

The reason that I asked is that the only wild maculatums that I have ever seen were in Bedford County, VA and they displayed some orange spotting.
Chip

I found a few that had orange spotting, but it was only from the head to about mid body.:(

I should mention that the Northern Brown Snakes we found are county records.:D

I am not exactly sure why the brown snakes don't occur more often this far west in the state but I would venture to say it is cause of the Blue Ridge Mountians. There has only been 3 other individual snakes recorded west of the Blue Ridge. By the way, the Virginia goverment divides the state into two parts, east and west of the Blue Ridge when refering to game regulations. Now Richard found 1 and I found 4 so I would also think they occur more frequently than recorded, but either way a nice find.

Oh! I forgot to tell Richard about that. He'll be pretty jazzed to hear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back