Hi from Australia šŸ˜Š

I would like some advice as Arthurs' tail seems to be pointing upwards. He is kept with sand substrate and fed earthworms. This has been like this for 2 or 2 days but he is eating really well, his water parameters were good..
Could he be impacted?

Attachments

• 20240320_174757.jpg
    20240320_174757.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240321_092811.jpg
    20240321_092811.jpg
    959.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240321_094354.jpg
    20240321_094354.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Welcome to the forum! If you have a photo of him from above so we can see how wide he has gotten that could help determine whether he's impacted or not. I would also suggest watching to see if he seems to get rounder or not over the next couple of days but that might be too late for him too if he is impacted.
I'm not very experienced with axolotls however so I suggest making an additional post about this issue in the "sick axolotl?" subsection of the forum. You're likely to get a lot more knowledgeable help over there.
Of course if there is an exotic animal vet near you and you are able to pay the fees, you can always take him there too. Sometimes you can call them and ask some questions without getting charged too.
Good luck and I hope Arthur turns out to be alright!

Welcome to the forum! If you have a photo of him from above so we can see how wide he has gotten that could help determine whether he's impacted or not. I would also suggest watching to see if he seems to get rounder or not over the next couple of days but that might be too late for him too if he is impacted.
I'm not very experienced with axolotls however so I suggest making an additional post about this issue in the "sick axolotl?" subsection of the forum. You're likely to get a lot more knowledgeable help over there.
Of course if there is an exotic animal vet near you and you are able to pay the fees, you can always take him there too. Sometimes you can call them and ask some questions without getting charged too.
Good luck and I hope Arthur turns out to be alright!

Hi NK, thanks for your reply... I had a really knowledgeable member help me immensely and Arthur is happier than ever after having a couple of large poohs! Yay! I've never been so happy to see feces lol šŸ˜ we have learnt a lot in the last few days and our education will continue as we love our little friend... he is the coolest!

Hi NK, thanks for your reply... I had a really knowledgeable member help me immensely and Arthur is happier than ever after having a couple of large poohs! Yay! I've never been so happy to see feces lol šŸ˜ we have learnt a lot in the last few days and our education will continue as we love our little friend... he is the coolest!
I had a newt that seemed constipated a while ago too. So true, I was never more happy to see a nice big turd.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if youā€™re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isnā€™t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back