I have a few questions about Axolotl Breeding.

Corissa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello There!
I put my male and female axolotl together today hoping they would breed, and I know that the female lays eggs but the male is a first timer, anyway after a couple hours a saw Sperm Cones all over in their tank, I am wondering the odds she took and will lay eggs soon or if she may have not taken any sperm.
I hope I can find some answers!
Thank You! 🙂

Hi,
Females usually do not lay their eggs if they have not taken any sperm cones.

Can add a few things from my own experience once / if you get eggs.

*Never keep more eggs than you will have space for. Remember that axies have a period of biting each other growing up, and some, will continue this behavior as well.
*Do know how to rear tiny live food like artemia shrimps before! - the day comes that the juveniles actually needs it.
*The juveniles are individuals so some of them is likely to need more attention from you, (compare the development between them).
*Keep the waters edge well below the top of the aquarium / containers, because the jump.
*And if you feed them everyday like I did, change the water everyday.
*And long sleeve gloves when cleaning. Because I got red skin on my arms that gave me itches.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back