<i>Hynobius</i> season 2007

H

henk

Well they are getting ready for it, that's sure. I have changed the soil of all the tanks and set in new water + some twigs.

The H. retardatus have already deposited one eggsac (but wether it is dfertilised tha's another question). I saw one H. lichenatus one a twig too (I reproduced them the last 2 years and hope to do so again), but there some images of a species I have not made enough images of : H. dunni. Here's a male ready for it.

79031.jpg

79032.jpg

One of my H. dunni males is doing exactly the same thing. My H. nebulosus are not showing any breeding activity, but I only acquired them late last year, and the male is looking a little on the skinny side, so I'm not expeciting anything.

Hopefully the dunni will breed again like last year...I think I only have 1 females to four males, so only two sacks possible....

Nice pics, and good luck twith the other species

Chris

Hi Henk
How old or what size are the H. dunni before they can breed? Mine are young but they are aggresive eaters and are growing like like crazy. They all look the same to me but I think you can only tell the difference in breeding condition

THat's correct only during breeding season sexing is quite easy. To my experience they need 3 to 4 years before breeding, but like with other species it amy be more a question of size ... so keep them feeding well. When keeping them cool at approx 12 to 15°C and feeding well they can really grown well...

And here's some nice view on retardatus eggs

79082.jpg

Michael
I believe that (at least mature) males have a 'Y' shaped cloacal slit, while females have a simple linear slit.

Chris

Thanks Henk and Chris. Mine are only about a year old but are losing their juvenile pattern. I guess I'm really jumping the gun on these. It's funny they weren't what I was looking to import but I got them with the other salamanders. After some encouragement from others on Caudata.org I've started to like them more and more.

Well Michael I hope you can keep ahold of them since in nature they sure are not doing well. I started keeping them when they were still in 'normal' stage and currently they are already endangered ...
Together with moles the hynobidae are some of my favourite ones.. but I guess you already knew that.

Hi Henk,
When I heard you speak at IAD a few years back about Hynobius and about Neurergus I thought "This is interesting but I'll never see any of these in the U.S." It looks like I was wrong. Don't worry I'll be holding on to the Hynobius dunni. Mine are only about a year old so they have awhile to go till they breed.

Well Michael I remembered you from the 2004 Neuregus talk but I did not know you attended my early 2000 Hynobius talk out there (Am I getting old ?). Anyway it seems so long ago now and there's much to add. If I remember well I had not bred many species then (but I did with H. dunni). So yes keep hold of the H. dunni since -which such a tiny ditribution- they will not be getting better in nature that's for sure.
It's a crazy story with these animals, I kind of stumbled upon this genus by accident so long ago and now I focus mainly on this group. The pondtypes are fairly easy to get into breeding and the species I have breedings group of, all have given it their best shot and bred in some years. For 2 streambreeding species I have obtained fertilised eggs but they turned out bad during the process... As already mentioned they are close both in keeping and breeding with ambystoma (longtoeds act like hynobius or vice versa ?).

Well so far I have egg depositions of Hynobius retardatus, quelpartensis and lichenatus. Others are only getting active now ...

Thats just the funniest name! Hynobius retardatus Hehe, RETARDatus HAHAHA!!

I don't mean to be offensive its just funny to me.

How did this species get this name??

The egg strands look so cool like that of toads. Good Luck Henk!

There is a species of caterpillar where I live and its common name is the Ritarded Caterpillar.

Yeah that caterpillar Acronicta retardata hahahaha!

Ever seen it before. It has a brilliant red. Acronicta are fun to raise. Sorry if this is too off topic.
biggrin.gif

No, just pictures, I've only raised saturniidea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back