<i>Pachyhynobius</i> egg sacs but why?

Hi Erik,

yeah it does: the Alfred A. Schmidt-Award. But as far as I know you have to breed F2 at least.

Best Greetings,

Kamil

An update with photos would be nice
biggrin.gif

Nice photo, keep 'em coming
biggrin.gif

They look like my H. boulengeri, what with their large yolk sacs. Are you keeping them especially cool? The boulengeri are kept in my fridge's vegetable compartment. That probably explains why they took around 2 months to hatch.

(Message edited by TJ on July 01, 2006)

veggie compartment? why didt you keep them in the egg keeper?
lol.gif

do you normally keep egg sacs in the fridge? is there a benefit to keeping them cooler than the normal 65 F?

Normal 65 F? That would depend on the species, namely whether they're lotic (running water) or lentic (still water) breeders. H. boulengeri breeds in cool mountain streams, unlike your H. tokyoensis, for example, for which the water temperature needn't be that low (though I don't have the natural temperature range for tokyoensis at my fingertips). In the natural habitat of boulengeri, or so I read, the water temperature doesn't exceed 18 C (64 F) even in the summer, and they breed when its around 9 C (48 F). Also, the water must be fresh and clean, which is why I change it at least once a day, usually twice, with water of the same temperature (which is why there's always a bottle of water in the vegetable compartment along with the eggs). I would guess that Pachyhynobius egg sacs also require cool, fresh water...

Hi Tim,

They are kept between 12 - 16°C in the basement. The first one hatched yesterday so it took more than 5 weeks...

Congrats on your success with them so far, Frank. Looking forward to seeing the larvae.
biggrin.gif

By the way, the water temperature for my boulengeri egg sac and larvae is 9 C.

congratuations on you first larvae Frank! can't ait to see the pics
proud.gif

Cool, Frank. So are they swimming upright and eating yet? The egg sac of the larva in that picture seems mostly absorbed.

An update on the larvae. Each larva is kept individually and measured every two weeks. The average length now is 34 mm. Feeding is no problem: they hunt very actively everything they can get.

69238.jpg

Wow...the larvae are very interesting looking.
happy.gif

Keep us updated!

good luck with the bebe's!!! I have been following all your posts, and have taken a huge interest! Keep up the good work!!

one year later

the larvae are some 8 cm...

Attachments

• larve Pachy comp.jpg
    larve Pachy comp.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 717
I was wondering about these just the other day! Looking great, Frank.

At what age do you expect them to morph? Will they have a terrestrial phase?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back