<i>Pachyhynobius</i> feeding

A

andy

Has anyone else keeping this sp. encountered the males unwillingness to feed as voraciously as the females? My females will forceps feed on anything placed in front of them. The males seem to be only interested in MOVING worms of any sp. Also, if anyone has any spare males, I would be quite interested. E-mail me.

I keep mine aquatic and feed them salmon pellets, blackworms, and chopped earthworms. I have a trio in a 29 gallon tank and all seem to eat well. I have lots of hiding places and this trio is getting along fine.

Hi Andy,

I have also noticed that from time to time my male Pachyhynobius is reluctant to eat; something that never occurs in the female. It always strikes me that they have a very high success rate in catching prey compared to other urodelans (in some species one wonders how they can survive in the wild...)

Dr. Pasmans,

From previous posts regarding this sp., it is my understanding that you are the only known keeper to successfully spawn them!!! Any suggestions ? After researching the climate of their small natural range, it seems Minnesota ALMOST mimics the climate. We can get -30 F on occasion though. My basement cools down to 40-50 F during our winter months. Should this be cool enough? Temperature appears to be the key with this species.

Hi Andy,

Actually, I really don't know what induced spawning. I keep them in a basement at temperatures ranging from 2°C in winter to 18°C in summer. They bred at 11°C in May. My hypothesis at this moment is that they need cool temperatures all year and perhaps a period of separation of the sexes. Until reproduction can be repeated, however, the spawning might very well have been a very fortunate coincidence...

How many viable young did you end up with? I believe you had 2 sacs laid.

33 larvae hatched, of which 30 are still doing fine... no signs of metamorphosis yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back