ID needed and some help needed

So is he destined to be alone the rest of his life? :-(

Personally, I would say that what you have there is a typical “shanjing” animal which doesn't fit into the verrucosus complex, even in it’s lightest form. From a pet keepers perspective (rather than an ex-situ conservationist, which we are not) I doubt it would be an issue to introduce your newt to other typical shanjing type animals of similar appearance. As far as I know there is no evidence of integration between shanjing and the verrucosus complex. The boundary between verrucosus and shanjing is very blurry (both geographically and in appearance) and new forms and populations keep cropping up to add more confusion. Hopefully one day the Tylototriton mess will be unravelled.

Another point to keep in mind is that here in the US we are not exactly overrun with CB shanjing or any species of Tylototriton for that matter. Breedings do occur but not too frequently. I agree that it looks like T. shanjing and would keep it as such. If you manage a breeding then so much the better.
Chip

Please, don´t missunderstand me, i was just advocating caution in what is currently a complicated taxonomical situation for an animal that sadly has no locality data. I like to see Tylototriton breedings as much as anyone else xD

I totally understand your caution Azhael and it is certainly not unwarranted. I suppose that years of mostly failed breedings with various tylos have made me somewhat pessimistic. I do hope that the animal in question can be bred however in all reality I would be surprised if this ever happens. For what it's worth I hope that I am proven wrong.
Chip

I recieved an Pm from a member here who happened to be the one who gave him to me :D

The information I got from the Pm was he was bought in January of 2008 as a CB Tylototriton shanjing and was about an inch or so long when purchased.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back