Importation of eggs

magamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was looking over the import ban, and it says that it does not prohibit the importation of eggs, because eggs cannot carry B.sal. Would it then be theoretically possible to import eggs from captive bred species in Europe, and if yes, why is nobody doing it? Attached is what I have read.
"The listing does not prohibit the importation or interstate transport of eggs or gametes of these species."

I believe it is possible. You would still need USFW import permit or go through a broker or agent with permit. You would still have to pay import fees. The expense, paperwork, and shipping logistics would be difficult.

Why isn’t anyone doing it though, newts seem to be in demand, especially the tylototritone

Some people want newts badly and will pay insanely high prices for them and an Import/Export license is only $100/year (for commercial purposes) which is a small price to pay.

One good possible reason it doesn't seem like anyone has done it legally may be because of the process required to bring live animals into the country. When the plane lands, before you even get to look at them, USFWS officers need to inspect the shipment in a secluded part of the airport away from the public. During the inspection they check for things like proper packaging and hidden contraband, but more importantly, they look over the declaration and make sure the animals in the shipment match what has been documented. In order to do that they need to make a positive identification. From personal experience, I can assure you these people will not be able to positively identify salamander eggs. Not only would they not know if the egg was laid by a salamander, frog, sasquatch or fish, they certainly wouldn't be able to identify the species.

Actually, they can have a difficult time identifying full grown adult salamanders, even with a field guide. Even if the salamanders had their scientific names tattooed on their forearms and foreheads! Hahaha!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back