Mutated Bloodworms!

K

kellee

When rinsing out my bloodworms today I found several 'different' worms on the side of the dish. They were lighter than bloodworms (a brownish rather than red/brown) and wider as well. They're kind of leaf shaped, rounded on one end, coming to a point on the other. At first I thought it was just some kind of residue stuck to the side of the dish, but upon further investigation realized it moved just like the other worms. Does anyone have any ideas what the hell these things are? Can I feed them to my c. orientalis??

I can not say I know what they are, though they sound as if they could be leaches. A photo would be helpful for positive identification purposes.

My C. orientalis have eaten the odd one now and then with no problem. They have been too small to be any trouble. The newts being quick enough and hungry enough to despatch them before they get chance to move.

First off, it sounds like you have live blackworms there, not bloodworms. Some pet stores mistakenly call them "bloodworms". This article should clear this up, and also give you some tips on storing them:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

Yes, those flat worms are a form of leech. When I get blackworms they always have those things. They are generally harmless to newts (although I did have a couple of instances where I saw one briefly attach to a newt, then come off). I don't know if the newts will eat them.

They are indeed blackworms. That article really helped. I've been getting these 'bloodworms' for six months now and this has been the first time I've seen these flat worms. Thanks for all the help though!!

I have one of these in my latest batch of blackworms. it seems like some kind of slug? anyone have any ideas about its identity?

thanks, e

(Message edited by vortle on December 31, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back