Necturus beyeri tips

Infamous82

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Wes
I have 2 Necturus beyeri that someone is bringing me. I have a 55 gal. with a 350 gph filter and a powerhead if needed. It will be set up with fake plants and several rock hides, and it's in a room with temps between 68-72 deg. Any advice or suggestions beyond that?

The water should try to be cool. around 65 to 70 at least. Also 55 gal may not be enough for 2.

55 gallons is enough. matter of fact you could house 3 in a 55 gallon. N. beyeri are medium sized Necturus ranging from 6-8 inches as adults. Kept 60-70 degrees should be fine. In the wild when its very warm they like to become scarce so keep that in mind. Water flow should be minimal and not too harsh. I noticed my N. beyeri never removing them selves from their hides when the water flow was significant. After decreasing flow they starting roaming out at night in search of food.

Check this out could be helpful.

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Necturus beyeri

They don't like a fast flow. A 55 gallon with a filter for a 30 gallon tank will be plenty of flow. If you want more filtration use a big sponge filter. They like to hide in leaves and drift wood. You actually won't see them much. In a 55 gallon but they should hang at the far end away from the strongest filter flow.

I've had much more success with a stronger flow. And to me 60 degrees is way too cold. Consider the climate they are from. When I first started keeping Beyeri I used river gravel and found they did not like it. I found sand, large shale hides, drift wood to be superior with real plants. When I feed my necturus as juveniles I placed a small dish filled with gravel in the bottom of the tank and turkey basted black worms into the gravel area. Everyday I would add more worms until the Beyeri figured out that my presence meant food and now they rarely hide when I am near the tank. Slowly work your way up to shrimp and night crawlers but don't over feed and try to encourage hunting behavior. I have a 55 with three and found they enjoy sharing hides with eachother which was a surprise to me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back