Need Guidance For Healing Axolotl

Axolotlmother

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, so Kovu is my baby, ive had him for 7 years. Recently i moved in with my in-laws and i didnt have room for his tank.. my sister has two axies so she offered to take care of Kovu if i buy a bigger tank.. i bought a 80 gal, plants and hides of plenty.. and the worst still happened.. one of hers ate the front leg of Kovus off.. and you can see his little leg bone.. 🥺
He is now back with me, tubbed.. cleaned everyime he poops and I stuck a piece of almond leaf in his tank to avoid infections..
Question #1: i havent seen anyone talk about their axies leg gone missing and have a bone showing.. is this okay or do i have to cut the bone as well to get it to regrow 😭?
Question #2: I was feeding him earlier, (nightcrawler) and his nubbed started bleeding as he was attempting to swallow the worm and i havent seen him bleed before? Is that normal? What do i do to help him 😭😭? Hes not bleeding anymore, so maybe just over exterted himself?
He will NOT be going back to my sisters after this incident, i will set his tank up in my office since im there most of the time, until our house is finished.

Attachments

• IMG_8813.jpeg
    IMG_8813.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 57
do not remove the bone as it will fall out on its own, use 100% holtfreters + 0.2g/l magnesium sulphate in the water whilst healing, if tubbed use glass, pyrex or ceramic rather than plastic, feed shrimp, mysis, krill, brineshrimp, fish as well as nightcrawlers to provide a more varied/balanced diet.
whilst the bone is still in place it will bleed on occasion, once the bone has fallen out and a blastema has formed it will stop.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back