New babies: <i>H. tokyoensis</i>

J

jennifer

I just received these captive-bred Hynobius tokyonensis juveniles. They have a really amazing body shape: long torso, short tail. In behavior they are relatively hyperactive compared to most caudates. When startled they really move.

72417.jpg

72418.jpg

72419.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of Hynobius, Jen
biggrin.gif

But don't consider those H. tokyoensis to be typical of the genus, as they really are spasmodic. Good luck in getting them feed by hand!
smile6.gif
They should do fine with pinheads though.

Thanks, Tim. Interestingly, they become less shy when there are worms around.
frog.gif
Do you think I should keep them less aquatic? They don't seem to want to use any part of the tank, except the hiding places around the cork bark (which is normally under a flat rock - rock was removed for these photos).

Rachel, I haven't actually measured them (they wouldn't hold still for it very well!) but I would say they are around 2 inches (5 cm) snout to tail, or maybe a little bigger.

Hai Jennifer, I keep mine always with water around (4 to 5 cm) and a wall of stones in the back in which they hide. Outside of the breeding season you don't actually get to see them much. And yest the juveniles can be kind of Speedy Gonzalez when they are disturbed.
To my opinion this species is less hardy then H. dunni , so if it works out well with these guys ... you shoudl not get a problem with H. dunni for example.
I feed mine worms and fly maggots and they do well on this. Have not tried crickets. When kept cool and much food offered during this fall you will almost see them grow !

They hide a lot but come out to feed. They seem to be out more in the evening. This could just be because that is when I feed. They pretty much eat any appropriately sized food put in the tank. They will hunt it down. Food I put on land or in the water always disappears. The tokyoensis and dunni look very similar but act differently. Tokyoensis can trick you with their jump and run technique.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back