Question: New Tank Set-up Ideas?

AlejandroDaLotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay so i'm getting ready to upgrade from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon and I have a few questions.
1. Would it be safe to have a moss (Java or Marimo) carpet as the substrate?
2. Should i add duck weed to block off light from the top of the tank?
3. What type of drift wood and large river stones should i get or look into getting?

I am trying to add as many plants as i can so that i can try to up keep a small shrimp colony and also let my axolotl feel as if he/she is in a more natural habitat.

1. I don't see why not; the biggest reason axolotls like a substrate is because it gives them something to hook onto to propel themselves and securely stand/walk around, so as long as the moss carpet can do that, it should work fine.
2. If you want to add duckweed and you have the budget to, go ahead. If you want to support shrimp as well, the roots may give them a place to hide from the axolotl, and it should provide nice shade for your axie friend.
3. For river stones, you can pretty much use any stones that are large enough and don't leach stuff into the water; make sure they're free of bacteria and grime first by giving them a thorough washing in hot water, and only use stones that don't have jagged/sharp edges for obvious reasons. As for driftwood, there are many different brands, but I recommend getting some Mopani driftwood (I ordered mine off Amazon). Boil it for a while on high heat, shifting it around to submerge as much of the wood as possible, and then pour off the water (which will have turned tea-brown from the tannins). Let it sit in some cool water overnight, so it has a chance to cool down and release more tannins, and then put it in the aquarium the next day. It'll still turn your water a kind of tea color, but if you're going for a more natural look, this might be desirable. I personally think it looks nice, and brings out the yellow-green of my GFP leucistic.
Good luck with your tank upgrade!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back