Next step in cycling I need some help

Boseph

Reaction score
Country
United States
My tank has been cycling for about a month and the ammonia is at zero the nitrite says 7.0 and the nitrate is at 20. What should I do now in the process or should I just leave it alone and let it keep going

make sure the filter is for double the tank size, if you can increase the bio-media, make sure the water is adequately oxygenated.
an axolotl tank is normally bare bones (lacks substrate etc..), this means the filter has to do all the work (in effect it is cycling the filter)
bio-media is used to house the bacteria that consume/convert ammonia and nitrites, the more bio-media the larger the bacteria colony.
the bacteria that consume ammonia and nitrites are aerobic which means that they require oxygen to consume/convert ammonia and nitrites, this is why having air-stones in the tank are important, lack of oxygen can be harmful to the filtration as well as any tank inhabitant.
after a month of cycling the nitrate should be a lot higher, how are you cycling?

make sure the filter is for double the tank size, if you can increase the bio-media, make sure the water is adequately oxygenated.
an axolotl tank is normally bare bones (lacks substrate etc..), this means the filter has to do all the work (in effect it is cycling the filter)
bio-media is used to house the bacteria that consume/convert ammonia and nitrites, the more bio-media the larger the bacteria colony.
the bacteria that consume ammonia and nitrites are aerobic which means that they require oxygen to consume/convert ammonia and nitrites, this is why having air-stones in the tank are important, lack of oxygen can be harmful to the filtration as well as any tank inhabitant.
after a month of cycling the nitrate should be a lot higher, how are you cycling?
I’ve been adding water when it starts to get low and I have the temperature warm and I haven’t added any ammonia because I didn’t know how to much to put but there was ammonia in it until I tested it a couple days later and there was none

to cycle an axolotl tank the ammonia level needs to be 4ppm.
cycling using ammonia chloride...
add filter (if 20 gallon tank then filter needs to be 40 gallon minimum etc.. ), add air-stone (even if using air-sponge filter always add additional air stones), during a cycle using a heater will help speed up cycling, add any caves/hides etc.., do not use any means of cooling whilst cycling (if using a chiller, connect it up but don't switch on)
add enough ammonia chloride to bring ammonia levels to 4ppm (4ppm is the potential level an adult axolotl can produce per day)
if starting from scratch wait one week then test ammonia level and top back up to 4ppm.
test for ammonia after 24 hours and top ammonia back up to 4ppm, wait 24 hours retest then top up, continue to do this until 4ppm ammonia is removed over a 24 hour period then continue for two more days just to be sure.
whilst cycling test ph, if it drops bellow or near 7 add enough bicarbonate of soda to bring the ph to 7.4-7.6
test the nitrites and nitrates, if the nitrites keep rising (also if ammonia not dropping) ensure the water is oxygenated and there is enough bio-media, do not do a water change unless either cycling has finished or the nitrates are 110ppm or higher, 50% water change max always dechlorinate water first, if the water change is being done during a cycle only use a dechlorinater not a conditioner or one that removes ammonia etc...
if the water needs to be topped up always ensure the top up water is either dechlorinated or aged first (ageing is leaving water to vent for at least 24hrs).
using bottled bacteria will help speed up cycling.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back