Not seen fire salamander for 4 days

Nate E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't seen my salamander for around 4 days and I'm afraid he has hibernated because I have put him on a diet recently as I noticed him being a bit plump and a week into it he has disappeared. I thought maybe he would appear when he was hungry but he hasn't

Any advise would be appreciated

I have two blotched tiger salamanders who will hide under the substrate during the day and come out at night to feed. Is your salamander species diurnal or nocturnal? Quite possibly it's just following its own circadian rhythm and comes out at night.

Hi thanks for replying!

He is a nocturnal salamander and usually comes out at night (I'm assuming when he is hungry.) I don't think it's normal because this is the first time, he has done this in a year of having him but I could be wrong. I've done a proper look around the tank lifted up everything and had a little dig but no sign anywhere. But do tell me if you think of anything else.

Thank you for giving me the advice :)

Nate what do you feed him? Id place about five of six crickets in his vivarium and let him hunt them when hes out and about at night. I assume he's an insectivore as my tigers are.

Yes, he is a insectivore, I usually feed him around 3-4 crickets just before I got to bed every other day. He has only been tweezers fed, do you think he could hunt them with no other experience? I don't know but I'll do that tonight then.

Thank you!

They dont need experience to hunt. that comes naturally. I've fed my tigers by hand, by forceps, but mostly I let a number of crickets loose in the vivarium to allow the tigers, Socrates and Sophie, some excersize hunting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back