Oregon/Opal Creek

Re: Oregon in September/Opal Creek

Taricha are definitely cute newts. Jen - I think that's a Plethodon, not a an Aneides (head shape and body shape) but I can see the similarity.

It's clearly striped and seems to lack squared and enlarged toetips. The markings are also not characteristic of Aneides, and as John has pointed out, it lacks the jaw muscles typical of Aneides. Dark phases are common in both P.elongatus and P.dunni, and the latter are fairly common [being part of the reason for the description of Plethodon gordoni from Mary's Peak]. I've never heard the term "western leadback" before, and that would be a rather confusing term since I'm fairly sure that what you have here is a fairly ordinary Dunn's. Dunn's are much more likely along creeks [in huge numbers] and have a much greater distribution in the Cascades than western red-backs do.
Dawn mentioned finding a western leadback, but I think it might have been Aneides ferreus. Opinions?
jennewt-albums-oregon-april-2012-picture22170-aneides-lincolncityor.jpg

I'll post a few more photos after I get them prepped...

I put some more photos in my Oregon 2012 album. Here is the link to the album for anyone who wants to see more:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/jennewt-albums-oregon-april-2012.html
I am thinking about making a separate thread paying tribute to the species we had the most fun hunting: Taricha!

This was a larva we found. There were Taricha in a nearby pond, so we assumed that the larvae were Taricha. But the appearance of this larva looking at it up close somehow makes me think Ambystoma. Is anyone good at larva ID?
jennewt-albums-oregon-april-2012-picture22230-mystery-larva-clackamas-county.jpg

As a fellow Oregonian, thanks for sharing the great pictures! I too am "smitten" as you say, with Taricha granulosas. I have never owned an Axie but I suspect it would be tough competing with the personality of a Taricha!

Hey, are you still going to go again in may 2014? I cant wait to see the pictures! :D

For a while I have put all vacations on hold. I have a chronically ill ferret and I don't trust anyone else to take care of him. I wanted to go out to
OR again this April but I won't be for now.

Man I would love to catch some rough back newts but we don't have any here in Michigan. But right now I'm on my way to Idaho and I've heard that they have some there so hopefully I'll catch a one or more. Well thanks for the awesome picture.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back