P watl eggs

P

paris

i was thumbing through the list of people logged on here last week when i noticed a new member that had northern crested newts who just happened to live here in colorado springs so i wrote her. she had just got some eggs and i requested some, so i went over to see the newts and get the eggs...well the newts werent triturus, but i had seen them at local pet co's labeled so, and that is what she was told they were from the person who gave them to her, so i guess they came from those shops (i argued with the manager of my local shop that they were mislabeled but he insisted that they must be sold as such since they were on the inventory as that and he wouldnt go down on the price -$22 each) well i saw these newts and they are p watls! nice big ones with flowing caudal tails-about 7 inches long each. well she gave me some eggs-i counted about 69-70, so i am taking some into school to raise up in bio lab(no they wont get dissected!) and keeping 1/2 to raise here. anyone who knows me knows i can do some of the hardest sals/newts out there -but i cant do some common ones and these are one of them. i have had at least 10-12 p watls over the years and currently have none, i dont know what it is i do wrong....
sick.gif
...but in the interest of the persuit of persuits...well i'll try from scratch! i'll let you know in future posts how they do...i got some pics here of the eggs-at 1 day old...enjoy....
13133.jpg

13134.jpg

Thanks Paris for all the great information! Yes, Paris and I had quite a chat about my p. watls. Back in January some guy just walked into the veterinary clinic where I work with a bucket of newts to give away. I gave him $5 for 2 females and 2 males. He said they were Northern Crested. I didn't know anything about newts, but was eager to learn. I guess I did something right because they started laying eggs right away. I've hatched 1 batch and have about 10 larva that survived. Paris was kind enough to take this last batch off my hands. I'll keep everyone posted on their progress.

and there she is with post 1! can you give me a time/date they were laid? i think they may have been older than a day when i took the pic and i want to make it accurate. i have new pics that i will post tonight of them-i can get closer and more in focus when i shoot with natural light (this cam has a 10 x lens and 1MB memory for pics). the eggs now have cleaves where the spinal column will be....i should know the names of the stages but i dont.....

They were laid Wed 3/10 at 5:30 a.m. mst. by Camilla. My last batch hatched on day 13. I don't know how common that is. I thought it was pretty fast myself.

My female has laid twice for me and both times the eggs have hatched in 7 days. This was at 72 F. I believe Jen was able to slow down this hatch time and development time of a batch of eggs I sent her by lowering the temps. If you have any questions about raising the juveniles Jen and Pin-Pin have raised mine with lots of success.

I have a question that might seem weirld but what happens to a female that gets full of eggs when there's no to emptuy her body out? Or is this impossible, meaning only the presence of males triggers the egg building process?
thx

OuPs, That came out wrong. I meant what happens to a female that gets full of eggs when there's no male around? Does she lay infertile eggs?

Paris - good luck with them this time around! They do hatch much faster than other newts. Actually, 13 days is pretty slow for waltls. That's about how long mine took, being kept at 55-60F.

Newton - There have been plenty of cases of females laying infertile eggs. I had one young (1-year-old) Notophthalmus housed alone that laid about 20 infertile eggs. I have also heard that it is possible for a female to re-absorb eggs.

Oops! Paris, I gave you the wrong date...they were laid on Tuesday, 3/9.

newton, yes fems lay infertile eggs. i currently have a palmate female that has laid over 50 eggs-there is no male with her-she just has to get rid of them-but she spends as much time and care laying them as if they were fertile, in the wild this presumably woulnt be an incident of high occurence. i have seen this twice both times in triturus species. i am thinking that ambystomids and other vernal pool sals may just reabsorb if there isnt water to lay in-but then this might also apply to a newt if it has no aquatic environment to even lay the infertile eggs in.

I can confirm the history of unfertile eggs. In 2 days my female laid 100 eggs, none of them hatched. She was then only a year old, so patience is still with me.

@ paris: I have pleuro's for almost 2 years now, never had babies as I didn't have a female, but if you have any other questions... tips you want to know. I'm only a (virtual) block away ;)

gl with them
Joeri

Hey Paris,
just wondering; did your pleuro eggs hatch? If so how are the kiddies?
happy.gif

Paris, I've been wondering the same thing! Sorry I haven't contacted you...life has been hectic lately. My larvae that hatched Mar 3 are still growing. I'm not sure how many I have left. I can't do a head count because they hide so well.
So Paris, give us an update!
lick.gif

well...i had about 20 of the 70 left after a week of hatching. 10 were here and 10 at the school. i was told 72 is a better target temp for them-so i took the ones from school and here at my house (77-78F)to the shop where its about 50F this time of year. after a about a week i had none left...i dont know whathappened-but i am wondering if the temp was too cold, some tanks near the window can get into the low 40's high 30's (but i dont think it got that low )so again i have no luck with p waltls.....
sad.gif

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Joeri Wielandts (Xixarro) wrote on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 18:06 :</font>

"@ paris: I have pleuro's for almost 2 years now, never had babies as I didn't have a female, but if you have any other questions... tips you want to know. I'm only a (virtual) block away"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

OMG, did I write that? Didn't know you at that time I'm afraid. Now I would never say that to you. I think there is much to learn from you, and I doubt there is anything I know that you don't. (anything important that is)

Joeri

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back