Please help me, my girlfriend has taken in an exteremly neglected rescued axolotl. am planning to tub and get an air stone! Looking for advice Asap!!

OctoSmocto

Reaction score
Country
United States
Iknow very little about axolotls and have only worked with reptiles. Looking for help asap!
1000002712.jpg

tub him whilst you cycle the tank, add 2g/l non-iodised salt to any water he is in, test your kh and gh if low consider using 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate (this is used instead of salt).
whilst tubbed feed at night change water in morning, always dechlorinate water before use, keep water cold 15°c/59°f-18°c/64°f, closer to 15°c/59°f being better.
feed balanced and varied diet ie.. worms (earth, black, blood etc..), shrimp, krill, mysis, fish, mussel, cockle etc.. mostly aquatic meat based.
try to tub in pyrex, glass or ceramic rather than plastic, make sure to place a lid on top to prevent jumping out.
for levels.. Water Quality Explained: How It Can Affect Your Axolotl's Health - WSAVA 2015 Congress - VIN
for info on holtfrerers etc.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

Do what wolfen says. In the meanwhile, is your girlfriend familiar with axolotls? If not, I would also try finding him a more experienced owner as well. It's much better for beginners to start with a healthy animal than a rescue. But in the meantime, wolfen's advice applies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back