Photo: Pregnant again ??

beverleyx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
think we are pregnant again , its 7 weeks since last batch bubbies were laid , mumma is on the right and seems to have a bigger belly than daddy and is spending a lot of time digging :( didn't know I had a pair until December when I found the eggs but does she look pregnant again ? quick pickie taken too whilst transferring to another tank whilst cleaning their 200 litre main tank , daddy had black eyes and is a beauty :)

PLEASE NOTE I DONT PICK THEM UP AS A RULE BUT IT WAS LESS STRESSFUL FOR THEM , ESPECIALLY IF MUMS PREGNANT , DIDNT WANT TO CHASE HER AROUND TANK WITH A NET :(

4_zps78bcbe96.jpg

goeoge_zps55b49c7e.jpg

peaches_zpsfca5cec0.jpg

Don't they make a lovely couple!

Textbook sexing on these...

The black toes, the unmistakable "man parts" on the male, but I don't see the wider head said to be typical of the female.

Is she pregnant?

I don't know but if they've done it before they'll probably do it again, and she does look pretty big.

Dark toes DO NOT indicate sexual maturity - my 4" 13 week juvie has black toe tips!

In answer to the OP's question - possibly (but the term is gravid rather than pregnant). Females can lay as often as evey 3 weeks in prime condition, so at 7 weeks it's possible.
Have you seen spermatophores?

It looks like she may be full of eggs, but that is normal, they will either get fertilised by the male makin her gravid, or she will slowly reabsorb the eggs if they dont get fertilised. I have two females, one laid eggs and one didnt and I have put a tank divider so she will not lay eggs, but you can tell she is full of eggs, but since she will not be breeding, she hopefully will reabsorb them!

I refuse to let one of my females breed due togenetic deformities so therefore she can keep those unfertilised eggs lol.

She may or may not be gravid, i dont know if there is a sure way to tell until you see the eggs, unless you saw sperm and dancing. Then its a possibility.

Dark toes DO NOT indicate sexual maturity - my 4" 13 week juvie has black toe tips!

Oh...OK, sorry.

It is a commonly repeated belief, including on this forum which is where I heard it.

Just goes to show you can't believe all you hear on the internet!

It is a commonly repeated belief, including on this forum which is where I heard it.

Haha! Yeah, thats the problem with the internet - erroneous information is perpetuated too easily. Maybe we need a 'mythbuster' thread....

Oh...OK, sorry.

I read that on here too , black toes indicate sexual maturity ? but as you say , cant believe everything you read on internet , some think its correct whilst others don't , who knows :) x

Don't they make a lovely couple!

Textbook sexing on these...

The black toes, the unmistakable "man parts" on the male, but I don't see the wider head said to be typical of the female.

Is she pregnant?

I don't know but if they've done it before they'll probably do it again, and she does look pretty big.

I found some eggs before Christmas which hatched :) so I know they are male and female , as far as I know not related as I brought them 3 months apart albeit the same seller . I didn't notice signs before but then I wasn't looking , now im looking so was curious , they are both off food ( freshly dug earthworms) so I believe we are gonna lay again , but I don't want babies so if she does lay ill have to invest in a tank divider

Haha! Yeah, thats the problem with the internet - erroneous information is perpetuated too easily. Maybe we need a 'mythbuster' thread....

Tell me about it!

Actually...the thought has merit...a thread that warns us about definitely incorrect information that's getting touted as truth.

Couldn't hurt.

Black toes seem to show pre-adulthood. They seem to get dark toes when they reach their teenage type stage, right before sexual maturity. Seems about 4-6" they develop these.

yep, I was right ! this morning we have strings of pearls every where , daddy is sticking by her to protect her as she lays , awwwww bless em :p
eggs_zps383d8b0d.jpg

No, daddy is watching thinking there may be something to eat!

He certainly looks well endowed...

Maybe he's thinking of going again! :eek:

I just can't wait to see this happen in my tank!

I've got fish spawning at the moment, but this seems so much more epic than that.

He certainly looks well endowed...

Maybe he's thinking of going again! :eek:

I just can't wait to see this happen in my tank!

I've got fish spawning at the moment, but this seems so much more epic than that.

hahahaha dirty boy ;) think ill separate them after shes laid bless her as well as eggs , he needs to give the poor little lady a break :bowl:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back