Public Safety Announcement...

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know how many people will see this, but it's worth a shot. Several people have been on here in the past couple of months asking for help with their sick axolotls but they haven't given any information about water parameters, and when asked, they often stop responding or just say, "the water's good". It's very important when you are seeking help for your pet that you gather the critical information. This is a discussion board, very few of us are vets, and there is very limited what we can do in order to help you. Axolotls do have specific water conditions that must be met in terms of temperature, ph, kh, gh, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings. These can be found in the following link:
Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

Please, if you come here for help, check the water parameters first. Amphibians breathe through their skin so unlike other aquatic animals, bad water parameters can have a greater affect on the amphibian's health and very often tweaking the water conditions back to quality can provide significant change. That is why it is important those are checked.

Water parameters include:
Ammonia readings
Nitrate readings
Nitrite readings
Kh readings
Ph readings
Gh readings
Temperature readings

I know it's a lot of work, but it's very critical to be keeping track of these readings regularly so that when you post about your sick animal, we can offer you more accurate help and you can tub if necessary.

Lastly, fridging. On fridging, do not rush to fridging! If an axolotl is "lethargic" during the day, that can be very normal as they are nocturnal, sensitive to light, and more energetic at night. Fridging slows down their organ processes. It should only be done if the animal is already in a condition of life or death. In any other circumstance, it can bring unintentional harm to the animal.

Thank you. I hope newcomers dealing with sick pets will provide us with the best possible information to help in the near future and I hope that this also will prevent more pets from becoming sick. I have no idea whether newcomers will see this public safety announcement or not...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back