Raising Eastern Newts from eggs. What is working, and what is not.

Hi again

I was able to catch some larvae and wanted to lend on your expertise ( or anyone else’s);))

Have had them now 3 weeks and the largest of the clutch seems to be coming to the surface more than normal.

Obviously have them in a completely aquatic, set up for now, but wondering how to know when the transition and worried about him possibly drowning

Hi again

I was able to catch some larvae and wanted to lend on your expertise ( or anyone else’s);))

Have had them now 3 weeks and the largest of the clutch seems to be coming to the surface more than normal.

Obviously have them in a completely aquatic, set up for now, but wondering how to know when the transition and worried about him possibly drowning
Do you have any pictures of what they look like? If they still have gills I wouldn't worry about them drowning. Coming up to the surface is a sign of stress though. What is the water temperature? What kind of water are you using? What are you feeding/ are they eating?

Do you have any pictures of what they look like? If they still have gills I wouldn't worry about them drowning. Coming up to the surface is a sign of stress though. What is the water temperature? What kind of water are you using? What are you feeding/ are they eating?

I will send pics

They are a month old now

“Fig” is the biggest of the 20– he’s the only one I’ve seen start to surface (3.5 inches of water). His gills are well developed ( so cool!!)

They are all eating fine . ( vernal pool crustaceans/copepods and black worms.
Water temp is 62-65, bottled spring water.

Any tips/advice are GREATLY appreciated

I will send pics

They are a month old now

“Fig” is the biggest of the 20– he’s the only one I’ve seen start to surface (3.5 inches of water). His gills are well developed ( so cool!!)

They are all eating fine . ( vernal pool crustaceans/copepods and black worms.
Water temp is 62-65, bottled spring water.

Any tips/advice are GREATLY appreciated
Awesome.
All that sounds good overall.
The only other big things I would be worried about at this time are stress due to potential lack of hiding spots, ammonia, or illness. If you don't have some, I would recommend a live easy to care for aquatic plant like java moss or guppy weed to help remove nitrogenous wastes from the water and to offer hiding spots.

Good husbandry is the key to avoiding illness with newts. The other things I have learned are helpful are keeping the water hardness slightly elevated (not using RO/ DI water unless it is to replace evaporative loss only) and making the water rich with tannins. Oak leaves, wood, and Indian almond leaves can all help create a blackwater environment that can help the little ones keep from getting sick.

Last word of advice is that I would not keep all of them in one tank, because if one of them gets sick it is often too late for his tank mates. I would just hate to have you lose all of them at once.

Awesome.
All that sounds good overall.
The only other big things I would be worried about at this time are stress due to potential lack of hiding spots, ammonia, or illness. If you don't have some, I would recommend a live easy to care for aquatic plant like java moss or guppy weed to help remove nitrogenous wastes from the water and to offer hiding spots.

Good husbandry is the key to avoiding illness with newts. The other things I have learned are helpful are keeping the water hardness slightly elevated (not using RO/ DI water unless it is to replace evaporative loss only) and making the water rich with tannins. Oak leaves, wood, and Indian almond leaves can all help create a blackwater environment that can help the little ones keep from getting sick.

Last word of advice is that I would not keep all of them in one tank, because if one of them gets sick it is often too late for his tank mates. I would just hate to have you lose all of them at once.
Thanks!!!!

Yes I heeded all your advice before initial setup.
Oak and elm leaves a plenty!
The big guy seems so much more developed than the other 15 or so (divided between two tanks.)

He is the one swimming much more actively at the surface and even nipping at the duckweed it seems.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back