Recently got an axolotl

Xyndel90

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently got an axolotl but looks very thin and doesn't want to eat. I've been trying to feed it soft pellets but isn't interested and looks away. I'm worried because it's going to be a week now. What should I do?

What are your water parameters? Was the tank cycled?
It is very important for us to get these exact numbers in order to help you - ph, kh, gh, ammonia, nitrates, and nitrite readings. Axolotls are amphibians and they breathe through their skin so anything wrong with them can often be traced directly to something wonky with the water they are living in. Please review the following page and make certain your parameters are within the required boundaries.

try feeding bloodworm (bloodworm seem to be an axolotl favourite) or if he/she is still a juvenile feed live food (young/juvenile axolotls are more movement orientated feeders)
as Autistic Catholic has stated check all your water parameters/chemistry as the cause can be the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back