sexing p hongkongensis

lims

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sam
Does anyone have any tips on sexing p hongkonensis, or an links to anywhere that can help?

the females are a lot heftier and they male may have the sign of a whiteish stripe down his tail most of the year but certainly at breeding time and the usual cloaca difference.

ok, cheers Ian,
I'm pretty sure they're male and female,
Is it the case that even when provided with ideal conditions a pair of p hongkongensis might just not fancy each other therefore never breeding?

I would say give them a winter cooling period and you should have no problems once they settle in.

What temp should I get the tank down too, and how long should I maintain this temp for?
When should I commence this cooling period?

What temp should I get the tank down too, and how long should I maintain this temp for?
When should I commence this cooling period?
In practical terms, this depends on what you have available. In other words, how cool can you get it given the rooms of the house you have to work with. I cycle my newts on a timetable that simply follows nature. Right now things are getting cooler, so my tanks are getting cooler. I would say if you have a cool place, start now. And simply keep them cold until spring.

I don't know what the optimal cold temperature would be for hongkongensis. There are really 2 questions: how cold is it necessary for them to get in order to breed, and beyond that, how cold can they tolerate? Anybody else have any experience with hongkongensis?

I've bred Hongkongensis many times. A winter cooling is a must, but like Jen says....how long for/how cold is open for debate. I suspect that they wouldn't need that long but i always let them cool down for most of the winter. I'd also let the water cool down alot. I always had my water really cold...but again, this was just what their tank naturally did.
Also, i usually had them start to breed jan/feb if this helps.
Good luck

I have them in a 30 gallon tank in my bedroom, it cant be moved. I was thinking maybe if I was frequent with ice renewals I could keep temp down. Currently they're at 22, it should drop naturally a bit because I wont be using heating in my room. I'm thinking I might need a lot of ice to make it work though.

*>Question**>

If I use the standard water treating juices you get for fish aquarium water, will I be able to freeze water for use in cooling newts immedietly or will I have to let it stand a while?

(Juices are TetraAqua brand 'aquasafe' and 'EasyBalance')

Use a PC-ventilater, blow on the watersurface (not on the land).
So you can cool it continuosly for aproximately 2 °C (evaporation).

Paul

as Andy says the probably need to be cooled a lot, mine are in the garage where the temp drops to around 4 - 5 degrees or lower and they're fine. I doubt a bedroom with the radiator turned off will get cool enough but if you want to try the ice i would guess six weeks of cooling would be minimum but you may need lighting to fool them into thinking its spring when you gradually raise the temp.

I have a light in the tank so I will be limiting light in the winter, then allowing them gradually more by the spring.
I'm going to cool them for november and december
Paul, Do you know where I can get a good PC ventilator that will work for this purpose?

It is very easy!
You need a PC vent and a 12 V Accumulator!
Both you get in each Electronics shop.

Paul

that looks good, thanks paul, do you say not for newts because it could allow escape?
Mine never even attempt escape anyway, they stay in the water.
I'll have a look around for a 12 V accumulator,,

Mine never even attempt escape anyway, they stay in the water.
This is a dangerous idea, Sam. Any time you think a newt "couldn't possibly" escape, they'll eventually prove you wrong. I know of a case where a large adult Pleurodeles, for example, had never been seen out of the water for years, but still managed to climb out one night. Don't take ANY chances in this.

I certainly won't risk it jen, you're very right, thanks.

Good luck with them, Sam.

I am awaiting a fan designed for pc's which I will utalise for cooling the newts. Recently I have lowered the temp to 15 C from around 20-21 C using bottles with frozen water in, on a cycle, replacing them as they warm and melt. I dont suppose this is cold enough, the fan should lower it more, I should have it working soon, any thoughts anyone?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back