Sick Axolotl?

Rachloughry

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am hoping for help here. We recently purchased a Fluffy Gill Leucistic (Lucy) Axolotl, 3" baby from fantasies. We received the little guy about 3 weeks ago. We set up his tank in a 20-gallon tank (filled with 15 gallons of water) and set up the bottom of the tank with Carib Sea Super Naturals Aquarium Sand. We purchased a Fluval U3 Underwater Filter and have an Aquarium Bio Sponge Filter 2 PCS up to 55-gallon tank with Double Sponges I am using a Uniclife Aquarium Air Pump Dual Outlet Fish Tank Aerator with Accessories for Up to 100 Gallon Tank.

He was doing just fine, until a few days last week, we noticed that he got stuck behind the double spong filter! Twice in two days (last Wednesday and Thursday). When we went in to feed him on Friday, was hiding in his log and din't come out to greet us as normal. When he finally came out, his back right leg seemed twisted, and he is having a hard time walking and stabalizing himself. He has been lathargic and isn't eating that great. He seems to be sad and is hiding more. I'm not sure what do do. My husband things that the filter we have is too strong for the tank. We are looking to replace that today.

What other suggestions do you have to help get this poor little guy back to feeling like himself? We are getting ready to leave for vacation and have someone takign care of our animals on Sunday. My son is heartbroken and doesn't want his axolotol to die. Please help! I'm happy to send pictures or videos. Thank you!

What are the parameters and what is the time of day you are noticing the lethargy?

He was lethargic all day and hiding a lot. He seemed to be going down hill pretty fast. He had a curled back tail and his gill tips are white. We are getting ready to go on a vacation and are having somebody come over to watch our animals. I was reading that fridging them could be good. He has been in the fridge since two nights ago at 42°. He ate a few worms today and seems to be moving around better with his back legs and his tail ismy as curled. However his tips are still white. We’ve been doing the frequent water changes and covering the bowl with a towel. I was wondering if he would be OK with being in the fridge until we get back which will be a total of nine days. What are your suggestions for the easiest way for our pet sitter to care for him and to ensure that he gets onto a healthy track track

This is a picture of him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Without knowing your exact parameters or the time of day in which he is described as being "lethargic", then we cannot offer you much help. Fridging should only be done in a life or death scenario and fridging him will make him much more lethargic. If by "all day" you mean during daylight hours, then he probably was not being lethargic at all. Axolotls are nocturnal and sensitive to light. So they prefer to be more active during the night than the day. If you are feeding him during daylight hours, then he was probably tired because he's nocturnal. Try feeding at night. Also, axolotls that size are more movement oriented. Try live food. Without knowing the parameters though, I cannot even determine whether fridging was even a good decision or just an overreaction.

Please review this website and check your parameters!

Axolotls are amphibians and breathe through their skin. In the vast majority of cases, it's usually a water issue. The "lethargy" you are witnessing could likely be from his nocturnal behavior. That is why it is critical, when you are seeking help for your pet, that you disclose the water parameters!

Last edited:
add 2g/l non iodised salt to any water that he is in.
do a full water parameter test on the tank like Autistic Catholic advised, what are the results ie.. temperature, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, kh gh if possible.
for there to be a change in behaviour and increase in movement when tubbed would show that there is a water issue in the tank, was the tank cycled before adding your axolotl, if so how.
increase feeding amount.
I assume it was the air sponge he was hiding behind, increase water oxygenation.
the fluval u3 isn't really ideal for axolotl tanks as the flow can be difficult to restrict without reducing filtration.
as Autistic Catholic has already stated, fridging should only be done as a last resort as the low temperatures can cause organ issues.

I'm a little worried why OP is not responding to us or giving the water parameters...OP, can you hear us? We've given you the best help we can, but without the water parameters, we can't give you any help...or, as I mentioned, the time of day. Please do not fridge your axolotl if you are still doing that!

It also sounds like the filters are too strong for the tank size, likely causing too much flow that could be sucking him into the filter.

It also sounds like the filters are too strong for the tank size, likely causing too much flow that could be sucking him into the filter.
EITHER OP SEEMS TO STILL BE ON VACATION OR THE ANIMAL ALREADY DIED...OP HASN'T BEEN RESPONDING...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back