Some pics of my frogs

pollywog

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Andrew Tillson-Willis
Got a new camera this morning and thought I would share a few pics with you.
24741.jpg

24742.jpg

24743.jpg

Oh, my gosh - those are absolutely lovely! Yes, I want to see the whole setup too!

Here are some pics of the Golden Mantella Tank, It is a 24" x 12" x 12" all glass tank that houses 5 of my 10 Golden Mantella. It has a substrate of coco chips covered with moss.
24758.jpg

24759.jpg

Plants include 2 large Bromeliads, 1 Palma palm, 5 types of moss and a few accent plants including some mushrooms.
24760.jpg

24761.jpg

24762.jpg

24763.jpg

24764.jpg

And just for Kim who has asked to see the Red-eyed Tree Frog setup:
24767.jpg

Again a substrate of coco bark topped with moss, plants are a mixture of artificial and live, the live plants include: Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usonodies), T.stricta and T.kolbii. Its a 24" tall hexagonal tank base measures 18" between opposite sides, housing 4 Adult Male Red-eyed, 1 subadult Red-eyed and 1 Male Mexican Masked Frog (Smilisca baudini).
They will soon be moved into a 100cm x 50cm x 50cm tall glass terrarium (just as soon as I have built it).

hey andrew it's cool to see some of your frogs etc finally. have you got any photos of your fire-bellies or yellow bellies.
any way. that cool
mark jacobs

Hi Mark, here is a pic of a Bombina bombina, it was taken quickly this morning so not very well composed, I will take some of my other Bombina tomorrow.
24771.jpg

Nice. Here's my current M.auriantiaca setup:

24788.jpg

600 x 300 x 300 mm, LECA substrate. I originally kept this species on a LECA substrate before moving them onto bark chips on the recommendation of Richard Berridge. Although they seemed happy on this substrate, since it slowly rots I switched them back to LECA (see below). I now see a lot more of them and they still seem quite happy.
Plants: Hedera helix, Soleirolia soleirolii, Vesicularia dubyana.
This tank doesn't get a lot of light, but the plants have grown in a lot more now than when this picture was taken.

That looks good Alan,
I plan to move them to a bark substrate with more open space and less plants in the spring when I am ready to breed them.
I will move all 10 Golden into one 24"x18"x18" viv and all 10 Green into another 24"x18"x18" viv, it may seem to be over crowding them as they are supposed to be territorial, but it will hopefully get them to interact more and encourage them to breed.
I might then split a few off into pairs and house them separately in a variety of different setups just to experiment.

Here are some more pics,
This one is an adult male Mexican Masked Tree Frog (Smilisca baudinii):
24826.jpg

And this is a rather old female Indonesian White's Tree Frog (Litoria caerulea):
24827.jpg

More nice frogs! (and great pics btw too).

I'd like to continue the Mantella discussion, so I've moved it over to John's new Madagascar section (Hooray for JC!).

Wow nice frogs and setups. Just wondering how did you get mushrooms in that one mantella tank?

Hi William,
The moss was collected from the top of plant pots in the garden and the mushrooms were growing wild in the moss.

O really I didn't know you could buy spores great setup though.

A few on-line garden centres sell mushroom spores mainly those types good for eating but they also sell a few ornamental types.

O ok I'm going to look into them for on of my soon to be painted mantella tanks.

Just to leat you know those are not mushrooms but the seldom seen reproductive(archegoniophores since ~female) structures of liverworts. I worked in a greenhouse and it was real tough to get these to occur for class displays, the're so different from reproductive structures in other plant types, people usually don't recognize them.

O i just thought it was some kind of weird mushroom. Thanks for letting me know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +1
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back