Tadpoles

Cocoapanda10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
RedMage
In March I was raising some Frog tadpoles, and it took 12 days for them to hatch and 13 days to all die.

Well anyway, there's this pond that's very close to my house, and it was thriving with Tadpoles. I have not known any Frogs to live there, as people chuck coke cans and plastic bags in there, and the odd trolley appears in there.

Well, the pond is getting cleaner now. It's not green like it used to be, the rubbish has been partly cleaned up, and recently, King Crested Newts have moved in. Frogs have always been there, but the tadpoles usually all die.

So I got some more today. The water wasn't murky like my mum expected it to be, it was clear. They were eating bread in the pond, so we put a piece of bread in the tub, and got a plant they were feasting on.

I have not identified the species. Are they newts or frogs?

I'll keep this post updated with pics.

I'd expect them to be frogs, because there's some stubs behind their tails, and newts and salamanders develop front legs first. But we'll just see.

Those are anuran tadpoles. Newt larvae look like miniature adults with external gills, they don´t have a complex metamorphosis to the degree that anurans do. I would hazard that the tadpoles you caught are Bufo bufo, but it´s just a guess...

Those are anuran tadpoles. Newt larvae look like miniature adults with external gills, they don´t have a complex metamorphosis to the degree that anurans do. I would hazard that the tadpoles you caught are Bufo bufo, but it´s just a guess...

Yeah, I'm guessing they're Bufo Bufo tadpoles too, but one looks different from the rest.
Its tail is alot thinner, and its body is as fat as its tail. I'm guessing he's a common frog,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back