Taricha granulosa breeding! FINALLY!

Seems there's going to some CB Taricha granulosa available later this year.

I really hope we do. I hope it stops people from taking them from the wild.. At what age do they mature sexually?

Having tons of luck. Almost all the larvae have 4 limbs but they're growing a bit slow for me. Maybe this is the usual with this species. I didn't know what to expect regarding growth rates. They're still eating BBS/baby brine shrimp and I hope they can transition to blackworms soon.

I'll post pictures later.

Great to hear James! I remember my rivularis growing slowly until rear legs developed. Maybe rivularis hatch out larger than granulosa though as I remember being able to feed them cut blackworms almost immediately after hatching. Once the larvae were big enough to take small earthworms growth was pretty rapid.

Here's a bad pic. But they're there!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 352
Most all have back legs. Still very small. Maybe this is normal for T. granulosa?

I've had one morph so far. I thought I'd have at least 50 considering all the eggs, but I'll probably get about 10 or so.

Found this one climbing today. No more gills!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 283
Fantastic! Looking very good.
Any idea what they are morphing at? In my experience they morph around 2" i believe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back