Throwing up and Refusing food

every other day for up to three weeks.
Hey Wolfen,
So I was just about to start medication and I tried to feed her one more time and she did eat bloodworms. Would you suggest still doing the medication? She didn’t eat a lot of them but it’s still a good sign I’m going to keep her tubed for now to see if she holds these worms down for the night.

Last edited:
it would be better to see how she is overnight before starting medication.

it would be better to see how she is overnight before starting medication.
Do you think it would be a good idea to add the 2g of salt to the water that she is being tubbed in tonight or should I leave her completely alone to see how she reacts to the bloodworms

using salt would be beneficial health wise.

using salt would be beneficial health wise.
Hey Wolfen,
It looks like she kept all of her food down last night and didn’t throw up but she still passed some green poop and she also was a lot more active last night in her tub and showing more interest in food. I haven’t tried to feed her again I will once I get back today. But at this point what do you recommend doing?

just keep doing what you are doing, feed at night change water in morning (make sure to have a lid or something over the tub to prevent jumping out).
monitor her but don't place her back in tank until the fecal matter is no longer green (or until it has been re-cycled if you are re-cycling it)

just keep doing what you are doing, feed at night change water in morning (make sure to have a lid or something over the tub to prevent jumping out).
monitor her but don't place her back in tank until the fecal matter is no longer green (or until it has been re-cycled if you are re-cycling it)
Hey Wolfen,
I am still having no luck with getting her to eat. The bloodworms did stay down but I can’t get her to eat anymore of anything. At what point should I start the medications? I have been adding the 2g of salt but that is all I have been doing.

as there is no improvement it would be best to start using the medications, make sure to monitor her in case of any reactions to them.

as there is no improvement it would be best to start using the medications, make sure to monitor her in case of any reactions to them.
Okay sounds good I will try the Metroplex tonight. Also with that, I have been seeing to mix it into food and force-feed it. Is this the only way or can I dose the water she is in to get the same effects of the meds? I would prefer not to force-feed her but I will if I need to.

mixing into food is mainly for terrestrial species where as because she is aquatic it can be added to the water.

mixing into food is mainly for terrestrial species where as because she is aquatic it can be added to the water.
Okay perfect I have just started the first treatment. I tried to follow as close to the dosage instructions on the package 1 scope (160)mg per 10 gallons but per your instructions, you said 50mg per L, and in my tub, there were 2.5 gallons or 9 l and I didn't feel comfortable on adding almost 450mg to the container. Is the dosage I used still going to be effective or should I bump it up to 450mg for the 2.5 gallons of water next treatment if that makes sense? I used around 1 and half scopes of the powder.

the dosage instructions on the package is for fish rather than amphibians, this does mean that the dosage will need to be increased.

the dosage instructions on the package is for fish rather than amphibians, this does mean that the dosage will need to be increased.
Hey Wolfen,
Much improvements from before she passed non green poop this morning and also before starting the second treatment she ate half a bloodworm cube, I am trying to get her to eat earthworms but I will take it. My question is how long should I keep doing the treatments?

continue treatments for 10 days.

continue treatments for 10 days.
Hey Wolfen,
I am currently on day 5 of treatments and there is a big improvement from before she is super active again eating cut up earthworms and red worms still not eating a ton like before hopefully that will change. The only thing I am concerned about right now is she has not pooped since Tuesday. Her water temp stays consistent at 60-61 degrees. What would you suggest doing?

add 0.1-0.2g/l magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) to her water, magnesium is an essential mineral but as magnesium sulphate it will also act like a mild laxative.

add 0.1-0.2g/l magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) to her water, magnesium is an essential mineral but as magnesium sulphate it will also act like a mild laxative.
Will this work?

Attachments

• IMG_0186.png
    IMG_0186.png
    917.9 KB · Views: 10
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back