Using A Former Turtle Tank...

Neomorph99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, so here is my situation. My two axolotls are currently well-established in a 40-gallon-long aquarium and have been thriving in it for over a year. I also have red-eared sliders that were in a 75-gallon aquarium. The red-eared sliders have been upgraded to an 85-gallon indoor pond (made from a stock tank), freeing up the 75-gallon aquarium. I figured I would upgrade my axolotls as well, and give them some more space and plants (why not!). So, I'm wondering about cleaning/transitioning the turtle tank to an axolotl tank. I have basically rinsed out the tank, scraped off some algae, and that's it. I don't want to do any heavier cleaning for fear of destroying beneficial bacteria or leaving behind trace chemicals. Will any residual "turtle germs" harm the axolotls? How can I make this transition smoother and avoid "new tank syndrome" when reusing my turtle tank for my axolotls? I was thinking of maybe seeding the new tank with one of the axolotls' current sponge filters? Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back