What else?

apoplast

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Apoplast
So, I am building a room devoted to my keeping hobby. I have plans for the two 75 gal tanks devoted to newts. I have a rack devoted to 8 vivs for my obligate dart frog species/morphs. But I have a bit of space left. Yes, yes, I know, I don't want my hobby taking over my life. That's a consideration. Trust me! But I am trying to figure out what to devote the last space to. It's a full vertical space by about 61cm deep (24in, if you must!) by 79cm wide. So the big question is what to do with the space?!

I could...

1. Devote three 20gal longs to aquatic frogs, and maybe a newt, or Typhlonectes natans?
2. Build a large, tall viv to house frogs of some sort - maybe darts, or other diurnal species?
3. Build an enclosure for some amniote - emerald tree skinks, micro geckos, some other lizard?

Anyhow, I'd be curious what folks think would be a good use of this space.

So, I am building a room devoted to my keeping hobby. I have plans for the two 75 gal tanks devoted to newts. I have a rack devoted to 8 vivs for my obligate dart frog species/morphs. But I have a bit of space left. Yes, yes, I know, I don't want my hobby taking over my life. That's a consideration. Trust me! But I am trying to figure out what to devote the last space to. It's a full vertical space by about 61cm deep (24in, if you must!) by 79cm wide. So the big question is what to do with the space?!

I could...

1. Devote three 20gal longs to aquatic frogs, and maybe a newt, or Typhlonectes natans?
2. Build a large, tall viv to house frogs of some sort - maybe darts, or other diurnal species?
3. Build an enclosure for some amniote - emerald tree skinks, micro geckos, some other lizard?

Anyhow, I'd be curious what folks think would be a good use of this space.
Newts, newts and more newts! Lol jk but not really though if you have ever kept an aquatic newt species I'm sure you know how fascinating they are to just watch swim and just a regular feeding always excites me. The upkeep is very minimal and I don't think I will own fish or any other species again. I have a terrestrial setup for salamanders but they hide a lot and my newts are almost always out swimming up to the glass cause they always hungry and very entertaining. I would love to see you house aquatic newts if not aquatic frogs I think would be cool too. At the end of the it's all your choice what you will be housing and I would love to see more people caring for newts but truly any amphibians you choose would make me or I would assume most of us fellow caudets happy! Good luck

First off, thanks for responding @Newthanial ! I appreciate it! I am going to have 2 different 75 gal setups with newts in there. Those are my heart! Ever since I saw my very first California newt as a kid, I was hooked. I haven't kept any newts in years, but I am looking to rectify the situation shortly. So, it was good advice!

But, in the intervening time since my first post, I have had to change my marine tank setup. And for reasons, the new tank I have won't fit in the old location. So, it's going in the place I described. Next to my planned newt tanks. That will end up taking up the allotted space. In the end, the decision was made for me.

IMG_5105.jpeg

Here’s my newt room I’m working on. Go ahead and let it become your life, lol

What a nice space, @Camnp97 ! Do you have a thread here about your space? If so, I'd read it! I'm curious about what all you are keeping and under what conditions and why you chose to make your design decisions. Kind of all the things! 😂 If you don't have one yet, start a thread for it. I'll follow it for sure!

What a nice space, @Camnp97 ! Do you have a thread here about your space? If so, I'd read it! I'm curious about what all you are keeping and under what conditions and why you chose to make your design decisions. Kind of all the things! 😂 If you don't have one yet, start a thread for it. I'll follow it for sure!
Maybe I will start a thread one of these days!
I’ve been collecting newts since 2020. I am keeping: Neurergus Crocatus, Neurergus Kaiseri, trituras marmoratus, ichtheosaura alpestris, cynops orientalis, cynops pyrrogaster, cynops popei, tylototriton Shanjing, tylototriton yangi, tylototriton verrucosus, Taricha Granulosa, Paramesotriton Hongkongensis, Aneides Lubrigus, and Laotriton laoensis.

Im just using Home Depot shelves and plywood. I use nicrew lights. Temps are between 55 and 68 depending on the time of year, I may crack the window. Small juvenile efts are kept in a different room that’s warmer.

I brumate adult tylototriton in the a wine cooler, or put them on the garage floor. I use untreated well water for most things.

Tanks are all cheap from petco, I make backgrounds and foam land areas for fun and enjoy cultivating tropical moss. I use clay based substrates for terrestrial newts, and never force anything to be aquatic. I feed adult newts almost exclusively cut nightcrawlers.

That is a great group of newts, @Camnp97 !!! Wow!!! I love it! I've been pondering what species to do in my two 75gal tanks. I know the genera: Cynops & Neurergus (the latter being a figment of my wild imagination from photographs as a child in the 1990's). I pestered @Herpin Man with some questions, and thought I wanted C. ensicauda. But, I think I might have better conditions for C. cyanurus. However, I am in a quandary about the Neurergus species I want. I'm torn between N. kaiseri and N. strauchii. Given your experience, perhaps you could offer insight?

Also, please start your own thread for your collection! Not that I am somehow offended you have "hijacked" my thread. I'm more concerned that your incredible collection should not only be highlighted on my stupid "I don't know what to do" thread, but get its own glorious thread that is worthy of the awesomeness of your collection!!!!! Do it. I want to follow it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back