Is my Axolotl obese?

Mash_01

Reaction score
Country
United States
20220205_093451.jpg

I feed her one Nightcrawler each week.
She doesn't seem to be sluggish at all, has no trouble staying at the bottom of her tank or swimming up to the surface, but I am just wondering if her belly should naturally be so big.
Doesn't seem to have any issues going to the bathroom either.
Anyway, opinions in this topic are appreciated.

Hello! Usually, if you axolotls body is bigger then the width of their head then they are obese, if it’s smaller then they are underweight but if it’s the same size then you are all good! However (and correct me if I am wrong) but I believe one night crawler per week is not enough food for an adult axolotl. From my research I’ve found that 1 night crawler every 2-3 days is good. I know everyone is different in there feeding schedule though. For me personally my axolotl refuses to eat anything accept pellets, so I feed 8 pellets every other day and he poops every 1-2 weeks (more so every week). As far as I can tell he’s healthy, happy and at a good sized weight! Well I hope this helps, and maybe someone with more experience will chime in:). Good luck!

From my research I’ve found that 1 night crawler every 2-3 days is good. I know everyone is different in there feeding schedule though.
It strongly depends on temperature
and the size of the worm

Last edited:
View attachment 91474

Le doy de comer un Nightcrawler cada semana.
Ella no parece ser lenta en absoluto, no tiene problemas para permanecer en el fondo de su tanque o nadar hacia la superficie, pero me pregunto si su barriga debería ser naturalmente tan grande.
Tampoco parece tener problemas para ir al baño.
De todos modos, se agradecen las opiniones en este tema.
No, he is not obese, what happens is that females usually have a wider belly due to the eggs, it is a sign of fertility especially in winter seasons, which is usually the mating season

I really appreciate the replies, guys.
I will try to get a bird's eye view picture of her (if she can stay still long enough,) but her belly seems to be slightly wider than her head.
I keep the temperature of my home at a constant 68 degrees fahrenheit (20 celsius,) so the water temperature should be about the same.
If it really is the case that an adult Axolotl needs to be fed every two to three days, then I have been really underfeeding her.
I hope that is not the case.
The Nightcrawlers that I feed her are probably about six or seven inches long (15 to 17 cm.)

Hello! Usually, if you axolotls body is bigger then the width of their head then they are obese, if it’s smaller then they are underweight but if it’s the same size then you are all good! However (and correct me if I am wrong) but I believe one night crawler per week is not enough food for an adult axolotl. From my research I’ve found that 1 night crawler every 2-3 days is good. I know everyone is different in there feeding schedule though. For me personally my axolotl refuses to eat anything accept pellets, so I feed 8 pellets every other day and he poops every 1-2 weeks (more so every week). As far as I can tell he’s healthy, happy and at a good sized weight! Well I hope this helps, and maybe someone with more experience will chime in:). Good luck!

20220205_193610.jpg

Don't know if this photo could give you an accurate gauge, given that there was some surface disturbance from the bubbles from the filter.
What do you think?

looks to be a nice gravid female to me
Yeah, I have had her for more than a year and she has had no contact with any other Axolotls, so I guess that answers the question of whether or not she is obese.
Any recommendations for a feeding schedule or any other foods to try that would keep her healthy and slim her down?

How often does she poop? It might be a case of that she’s not eating often enough, so she’s storing up on food?

How often does she poop? It might be a case of that she’s not eating often enough, so she’s storing up on food?
I would say about every two days after she eats I'll find a "football" in the tank, so once a week.
I have some Carnivore Pellets that I will sometimes give her in lieu of a Nightcrawler.

Fair enough.
So, what would you recommend for slimming her down to a healthier weight?
As I had said, I feed her one large nightcrawler a week and that is it, so I appreciate any advice.
I would say, not joking, put him on 4 nightcrawlers per month. if you notice him getting slim and starting to starve, go back to a normal diet.

No, before he seems to starve, feed him pellets when he looks a little tired.

I would say, not joking, put him on 4 nightcrawlers per month. if you notice him getting slim and starting to starve, go back to a normal diet.
I feed her one Nightcrawler every week and that is it, so I am already on that plan.

I really don’t know what’s going on. However I do know this, every axolotl is different. I would say as long as your axolotl is eating and pooping on their normal schedule and they don’t seem to be stressed, not to worry. If she stops eating or pooping though it’s possible she has an impaction, in that case I would debate taking her to a vet to see what’s up. I hope this helps:).
-BasilBear

You could also try to feed her more pellets instead of night crawlers if you are really concerned about her size. I’m not sure if this would work but it’s worth a try!

You could also try to feed her more pellets instead of night crawlers if you are really concerned about her size. I’m not sure if this would work but it’s worth a try!
Maybe I can alternate the worms with a feeding of pellets.
Two Nightcrawlers in a month and two feedings of pellets in a month.
How many might you recommend for the feeding of pellets?
I really appreciate the helpful advice.

How big are the pellets? The ones I feed are only (about) a 1/2cm long by 1/2cm wide. I personally feed my axolotl 8 of those pellets (4 in the morn, 4 at night) every other day. If your pellets are about as big as mine when you would normally give a night crawler I would feed about 6-8 pellets. Again this is just what I would recommend but you do whatever you think is best. 😊

I feed her one Nightcrawler every week and that is it, so I am already on that plan.
Respectfully, speckles is really new to owning axolotls. Your axolotl is a healthy weight, and looks like a normally healthy gravid female. If you can up feeding her to 2 times a week, that would be good too. However she looks healthy right now and your worms are massive so I don’t think that’s necessary

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back