Is my Axolotl obese?

Respectfully, speckles is really new to owning axolotls. Your axolotl is a healthy weight, and looks like a normally healthy gravid female. If you can up feeding her to 2 times a week, that would be good too. However she looks healthy right now and your worms are massive so I don’t think that’s necessary
I understand gravid to mean carrying eggs.
If that is what you mean, that would be impossible since she has had no contact with any other Axolotls in the more than a year that I have owned her.

I understand gravid to mean carrying eggs.
If that is what you mean, that would be impossible since she has had no contact with any other Axolotls in the more than a year that I have owned her.
Actually, the females just naturally carry eggs, hence why they r more chonky than the males. I read something about them reabsorbing and then the eggs appearing again, kind of like menstrual cycle of sorts maybe?? Idk, i can look it up again later. However, shes not pregnant soo nothing to worry about

Actually, the females just naturally carry eggs, hence why they r more chonky than the males. I read something about them reabsorbing and then the eggs appearing again, kind of like menstrual cycle of sorts maybe?? Idk, i can look it up again later. However, shes not pregnant soo nothing to worry about
So basically something along the lines of the way a Hen will just continually have eggs in her body, pregnant or not.
That is fascinating.

So basically something along the lines of the way a Hen will just continually have eggs in her body, pregnant or not.
That is fascinating.
i would keep feeding her exactly as you have been. she seems to be a gorgeous, large female in excellent health. good luck! :)

View attachment 91475
Don't know if this photo could give you an accurate gauge, given that there was some surface disturbance from the bubbles from the filter.
What do you think?
She looks good, and I agree she is likely filling that abdomen with eggs. Amphibians will lay infertile eggs without a mate to fertilize them which will be small 1.0 mm, fertile eggs are about 1 cm ( the width of your pinky)

She looks good, and I agree she is likely filling that abdomen with eggs. Amphibians will lay infertile eggs without a mate to fertilize them which will be small 1.0 mm, fertile eggs are about 1 cm ( the width of your pinky)
I had no idea about this; when I first bought her, the seller was mainly concerned with the practical issues of temperature, water change routine, food pellets, paper strips measuring water quality and so on and so forth.
It really is fascinating and in a way it reminds me of Hens.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back